- Live UFC Fight Night 58 Prelims Results
- Yoel Romero Accuses Tim Kennedy Of Cheating At UFC 178
- Dominick Cruz Believes CM Punk Will Get Eaten Alive In UFC
- Jose Aldo: I Hope Conor McGregor’s Next, Because It Would Be A Huge Fight
- UFC Fight Night 58 LowKick MMA Staff Predictions
- Lyoto Machida Wants Jacare Souza After He Knocks out Dollaway
- Video: Watch CM Punk’s Heated Interview With Michael Landsberg
- UFC Fight Night 58 Weigh-In Results: Barao On Point, Cummins Overweight
- UFC Fight Night 58 Open Workouts: Machida & Dollaway Hit The Pads
- Dustin Poirier Returning To Lightweight In 2015
With Cub Swanson Open To Fighting Frankie Edgar, UFC Fight Night 53 In Sweden Targeted As Possible Locale
With UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo and No. 1 contender Chad Mendes set to face off for the second time in the main event of October 25’s UFC 179 from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, No. 3-ranked Cub Swanson found out that his coveted title shot will have to wait.
With six straight wins after defeating dangerous competitor Jeremy Stephens in the main event of June’s UFC Fight Night 44 from San Antonio, Texas, UFC President Dana White said that Swanson was “going to get what he wants.”
But apparently he’ll have to win another fight to get what he wants, and a bout with No. 2-ranked Frankie Edgar has been brought up time and again for Swanson. Edgar’s management tweeted the UFC to propose the match-up for December’s UFC on FOX 13, an act that Swanson called “shady management at its finest.”
On this evening’s episode of UFC Tonight, however, news came that the bout is now much further along the road to becoming a reality. Swanson has apparently begun to warm up to the bout, and is targeting a November or December return.
But Ariel Helwani stated that the bout might actually be targeted for October 4’s UFC Fight Night 53 in Sweden, as Swanson is half Swedish himself. The card does not have a headliner as of yet.
Edgar was last seen destroying old foe BJ Penn in the main event of July 6’s The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 19 Finale from Las Vegas. He already has a loss to Aldo, a decision in the main event of UFC 156 in February 2013. Swanson owns a far more infamous defeat at the hands of Aldo, a devastating eight-second flying knee back in the WEC.
Another fighter who lost to Aldo, fan favorite Chan Sung Jung, has been out of action since hurting his shoulder against the Brazilian champion at UFC 163 last August. Helwani also stated the “The Korean Zombie” may fight on the UFC Fight Night 53 card, returning to face Swedish TUF veteran Akira Corassani.
Photo: Troy Taormina for USA TODAY Sports