- Matt Mitrione Views Andrei Arlovski As ‘The Next Step’
- Machida vs. Dollaway Scheduled For UFC Fight Night 58
- Coach: Hendricks About 85 Percent, Looking To Return In February
- Ronda Rousey: I’m Sure ‘Cyborg’ Will Dope As Long As Possible Before Coming To UFC
- UFN 50 Medical Suspensions: ‘Jacare’ & Rothwell Out Indefinitely
POLL: Are You Picking Cain Velasquez Or Fabricio Werdum?
Cain Velasquez will look to make the third consecutive defense of his heavyweight title at UFC 180, and the man he faces is none other than submission whizz Fabricio Werdum. The two are set to coach the first season of TUF: Mexico later in the year, and ‘Vai Cavalo’ is riding four straight wins ahead of his first UFC title shot.
In the aftermath of Werdum’s win against Travis Browne, many fans questioned how the Brazilian would fare against Velasquez. The champion’s outstanding cardio and strength make him very hard to keep pace with. CV uses wrestling and wearing striking to break his opponent’s down, although the new and improved Werdum stands a much better chance than a few years ago.
Not really known for his heavy hands, it appears that Werdum’s best chance of winning would be on the mat; that may play right in to the game plan of the champion in this case. A competent wrestling beast, Velasquez would probably relish the challenge of going to ground with Werdum. I’m not sure if ‘Vai Cavalo’ has the strength to overcome Velasquez’s wrestling.
So who takes the win, the heavy handed, strong wrestler, or the Jiu-Jitsu wizard?