- Junior Dos Santos: Alistair Overeem Isn’t As Buff As He Was Before
- Video: Watch Conor McGregor Steal Jose Aldo’s Belt In Dublin
- UFC 189 World Tour Press Conference Live From Dublin
- Ronda Rousey Hints She May Join ‘The Rock’ At Next Year’s Wrestlemania
- Dennis Bermudez Battles Jeremy Stephens At UFC 189
- Josh Thomson Squares Off Against Tony Ferguson On July 15
Vitor Belfort: I’m OK With TRT Ban, Will Fight On Mars If I Can Get Licensed
Vitor Belfort has looked phenomenal in his recent UFC outings, starching Dan Henderson, Michael Bisping and Luke Rockhold in 2013. The controversial middleweight is yet to compete in 2014, and that is all thanks to the TRT ban that the athletic commissions and the UFC agreed on earlier this year.
‘The Phenom’ was pulled from his UFC 173 title fight with Chris Weidman earlier in the year, and was replaced with Lyoto Machida, who challenges ‘The All-American’ for the belt at UFC 175. Earlier this month Belfort was cleared to fight in Brazil and, as he explains to MMA Fighting, wants to be ready to fight around the globe ASAP:
“My intention is to fight for the belt, I got a license in Brazil from the exams I did. What I want now is get licenses in every state because the UFC is a global company, and I want to fight whenever there’s a fight. If I need a license to fight in Mars, I’m ready. I’m not worried if it’s going to be easy or not. The important thing is speaking the truth. Everybody respects each other and do what is right, as I always did. Even Dana White said I was the most tested fighter (in 2013), and now I’m OK now (with TRT ban).”
It’s very likely that Belfort will get the winner of Weidman-Machida if he is ready in time, but there is always the Anderson Silva factor to consider; the former middleweight champion is still laid off from his broken leg suffered at UFC 168, so the timing of his return could prove very interesting for the title picture.
So Belfort will look to continue his hot run of form, but without TRT in his system. It seems as though this isn’t even a factor for the former champion of the old school UFC days:
“My friend, I never had anything easy in my life,” Belfort responded. “I’m not worried if it’s going to be easy or not. The important thing is speaking the truth. Everybody respects each other and do what is right, as I always did. Even Dana White said I was the most tested fighter (in 2013), and now I’m OK now (with TRT ban). The most expensive wine is Bordeaux,” he said. “It’s the good old wine. That’s Vitor Belfort.”
Belfort also went on to say that the surprise drug test he took in February will not be an issue. Will Belfort’s return be as soon as he hopes, and does he have a chance against the new blood of the division?