- Albuquerque Police Pursuing Felony Arrest Warrant For Jon Jones
- Read The Official Police Report From Jon Jones’ Hit-And-Run
- Tim Kennedy: ‘Karate Is Dead, Rockhold Destroyed Machida Effortlessly’
- Jon Jones Update: Police Found Marijuana, Pipe After ‘Bones’ Fled Scene
- Rafael Dos Anjos Wants Fight With ‘Disrespectful’ Conor McGregor
- Jon Jones Upgraded To Suspect In New Mexico Hit-And-Run Accident
- Poll: Is Demetrious Johnson The World’s No. 1 Pound-For-Pound Fighter?
- Matt Brown vs. Tim Means Official for UFC 189
- After Machida, Luke Rockhold Wants Weidman In New York
- LowKick MMA Is Hiring Writers & Contributors!
UFC 172 Adds Joseph Benavidez vs. Tim Elliott
A flyweight scrap between former title challenger Joseph Benavidez and Tim Elliott has been added to UFC 172 in April. The fight was announced earlier today by UFC officials.
UFC 172 will take place at the Baltimore Arena in Baltimore, Maryland and features a light-heavyweight title fight between Jon Jones and Glover Teixeira. The main card will be on pay-per-view following prelims on Fox Sports 1 and UFC Fight Pass.
Former Strikeforce champion Tarec Saffiedine will fight on the card, taking on Jake Ellenberger in an important matchup in the welterweight division. The two were previously scheduled to fight at UFC Fight Night 34 but Ellenberger dropped out with injury.
Ellenberger’s twin brother, Joe Ellenberger, will also make his long awaited UFC debut at the event, as he takes on Yancy Medeiros.
Benavidez and Elliott are expected to fight on the main card. The bout will be Benavidez’s first fight since his failed title attempt, where he was knocked out for the first time of his career in a rematch with Demetrious Johnson. Prior to his loss against “Mighty Mouse”, Benavidez was on a three fight win streak. Overall, Benavidez is 7-2 in his last nine fights with his only loss coming to the champ.
His opponent, Elliot, will be looking to get back on track after being beat by Ali Bagautinov via decision in his last fight. Elliott is now 2-2 in the UFC since debuting against John Dodson in 2012; where he lost his first fight in the Octagon. Before losing to Bagautinov, Elliiott had took wins over Jared Papazian and Louis Gaudinot.
The fights currently announced for UFC 172 so far are:
Champ Jon Jones vs. Glover Teixeira – for light-heavyweight title
Jake Ellenberger vs. Tarec Saffiedine
Joseph Benavidez vs. Timothy Elliott
Joe Ellenberger vs. Yancy Medeiros
Andre Fili vs. Max Holloway
Bethe Correia vs. Jessamyn Duke