- UFC 183: Up Close & Personal – Anderson Silva
- Rashad Evans Predicts Anthony Johnson Will Knock Out Jon Jones
- Cris Cyborg Return Set For Same Weekend & City As Ronda Rousey
- Jose Aldo vs Conor McGregor Postponed Until Mid-Summer
- UFC 183: Anderson Silva vs Nick Diaz Fight Breakdown
- Akira Corassani Announces Retirement From MMA
- Did A Head Butt Cause Alexander Gustafsson To Lose In Sweden?
- Daniel Cormier Wants To Fight Alexander Gustafsson In Louisiana
- Jon Jones Unveils His Light Heavyweight Top Five
- Dan Henderson Stoppage Reportedly Saved His Vision At UFC on FOX 14
UFC 171: Landscape Of The UFC Welterweight Division
The UFC’s welterweight division is perhaps the most talent rich and competitive weight class in the promotion. It seems that at virtually every spot in its fifteen slot ranking there lies a fighter capable of claiming the title. Certainly every name on the list from twelve above is a threat to become champion.
Tonight in Dallas the UFC showcases the upper echelons of the division as six of the 170 pound weights class’s best fighters take to the Octagon to do battle, and in an attempt to provide clarity to a division which is very much in flux.
Two of fighters – Johny Hendricks and Robbie Lawler – will go toe-to-toe to see which of the pair assumes former welterweight champion George St. Pierre’s vacated throne.
The rest – Carlos Condit, Tyron Woodley, Jake Shields and Hector Lombard – will all duke it out to see which of them, if any, will impress Dana White enough to have the promotion’s president convey upon them a title shot, and the first crack at the winner of Hendricks vs. Lawler.
Of course, if none of them do, then White might wait to see what the number eight ranked Matt Brown does at May 10th’s, UFC Fight Night 40: Brown vs. Silva, event. If Brown wows White in Cincinnati, where the six fighting in Dallas failed to, then “The Immortal” could well end up getting the nod as the next title challenger.
Ahead of any of it, here’s the welterweight landscape heading into tonight’s UFC 171 event.