- Brendan Schaub Moves Down To Light Heavyweight For Next Fight
- Dana White Reveals Jose Aldo Went Crazy After McGregor Slapped Him On Back
- TJ Dillashaw vs. Renan Barao II Will Still Happen
- Bellator 135 Results: Marcos Galvao Crowned New Bantamweight Champ
- Anderson Silva Says Another Title Run Possible If He Has The Opportunity
Tyron Woodley Is Trying His Hardest To Fight Carlos Condit at UFC 171
Tyron Woodley isn’t ready to give up his pursuit of no.2 welterweight Carlos Condit just yet.
Earlier this week the UFC announced that the “The Natural Born Killer”, Carlos Condit, will be fighting at UFC 171 after being scrapped from the UFC On Fox 9 card after his opponent, Matt Brown, had to withdraw due to a back injury.
When UFC president Dana White announced Brown was unable to get fit in time for the March card, top welterweight prospect, Tyron Woodley, campaigned for the slot against Condit.
However, Woodley was turned down with White saying he is too low down in the rankings for the fight with Condit; which will most likely be a title eliminator. That still hasn’t stopped the former Strikeforce title challenger texting White asking for fights; up to fifteen times a day.
“If Tyron Woodley texts me one more time…” said White. “The guy can’t text me enough. I mean, I’m not kidding you. I’m not being a promoter here. He must’ve texted me 15 times a day, and then when this thing with Georges St-Pierre went down, boom! He wants every fight.”
The UFC’s welterweight kingpin, Georges St-Pierre, stepped away from the sport on Friday, leaving the UFC to book no. 3 ranked Robbie Lawler vs. no.1 ranked Johny Hendricks for their vacant welterweight title.
Their title fight takes place in the main event of UFC 171 in Dallas, Texas. Condit is expected to fight in the co-main event. It’s fair to say Woodley wants to get in on the action.
“There are guys like (Woodley) that are out there,” he said. “Those are the guys I want to deal with. Those are the guys I want to hear from. I love Tyron Woodley. I love it.”
Woodley seems more than keen to face the former UFC interim champion, something which others seem less optimistic about. White said he offered the fight to former Strikeforce champion Nick Diaz, who suffered a close decision loss to Condit back in February last year, but Diaz declined the fight and said he might come back in May.
The UFC head was disappointed with Diaz’s decline, White had even toyed with the possibility last week. White was however impressed with lower ranked fighters, like Woodley, showing how willing they are to step up to such a big challenge.
As for Woodley, he’s going to have to play the waiting game and see what comes up. With most of the top welterweights currently booked or injured he could have to wait for a gap to open, possibly even stepping in as a late replacement.
Personally, I would like to see Woodley take on upcoming prospect Brandon Thatch, who has also has two impressive knockout wins in his short UFC career. Thatch is 2-0 since joining the UFC, he is also riding a ten fight win streak with ten first round finishes. He may not be the big name Woodley is looking for but the two are on similar courses and it would be an exciting fight stylistically.
Who would you like to see Woodley paired up with next? Do you think he deserves a high ranked opponent? Or would you rather see him build more of a name for himself first?