- Cris Cyborg Return Set For Same Weekend & City As Ronda Rousey
- Jose Aldo vs Conor McGregor Postponed Until Mid-Summer
- UFC 183: Anderson Silva vs Nick Diaz Fight Breakdown
- Akira Corassani Announces Retirement From MMA
- Did A Head Butt Cause Alexander Gustafsson To Lose In Sweden?
- Daniel Cormier Wants To Fight Alexander Gustafsson In Louisiana
- Jon Jones Unveils His Light Heavyweight Top Five
- Dan Henderson Stoppage Reportedly Saved His Vision At UFC on FOX 14
Thiago Alves injured, Matt Brown to face Mike Pyle in Boston
Many thought that Matt Brown should be facing a higher-ranked opponent when he was signed up to fight Thiago Alves at UFC on Fox Sports 1: Boston. After all, he is on a five-fight win streak with four knockouts to his credit. After beating Jordan Mein at UFC on Fox 7, most expected Brown to get a high-profile fight, but he was booked opposite Alves.
Today, it appears that Brown will have a different opponent, as Alves is injured and Mike Pyle has stepped in to take his place at UFC on Fox Sports 1:Boston. Fox Sports 1 tweeted the changeup today:
— FOX Sports 1 (@FoxSports1) July 3, 2013
While Pyle is not necessarily a high-profile statement bout Brown, he does in fact bring more credibility to the octagon at this point. Alves has gone through a seemingly endless string of injuries and uncertainties, leaving the former title challenger with a question mark next to his name.
Pyle is coming off a hard-fought split decision victory over Rick Story at UFC 160, so it will be a quick turnaround for him. Both fighters have shown incredible grit throughout their current winning streaks, and the winner of this fight should find themselves taking on a top-level welterweight.