- Josh Thomson Squares Off Against Tony Ferguson On July 15
- Benson Henderson & Michael Johnson Verbally Agree To Fight
- UFC 185 Drug Tests Come Back Negative
- Alexander Gustafsson Faces Glover Teixeira At UFC Fight Night 69 In Berlin
- Jose Aldo Says There Was ‘No Slap,’ Find Out For Yourself
- Ronda Rousey Joins ‘The Rock’ At WrestleMania To Throw ‘Triple H,’ Dana White Approves
- Anthony Pettis Has No Timetable For Return, Wants To Fight Nate Diaz
- WSOF 19: Justin Gaethje vs. Luis Palomino Video Highlights
Thiago Alves injured, Matt Brown to face Mike Pyle in Boston
Many thought that Matt Brown should be facing a higher-ranked opponent when he was signed up to fight Thiago Alves at UFC on Fox Sports 1: Boston. After all, he is on a five-fight win streak with four knockouts to his credit. After beating Jordan Mein at UFC on Fox 7, most expected Brown to get a high-profile fight, but he was booked opposite Alves.
Today, it appears that Brown will have a different opponent, as Alves is injured and Mike Pyle has stepped in to take his place at UFC on Fox Sports 1:Boston. Fox Sports 1 tweeted the changeup today:
— FOX Sports 1 (@FoxSports1) July 3, 2013
While Pyle is not necessarily a high-profile statement bout Brown, he does in fact bring more credibility to the octagon at this point. Alves has gone through a seemingly endless string of injuries and uncertainties, leaving the former title challenger with a question mark next to his name.
Pyle is coming off a hard-fought split decision victory over Rick Story at UFC 160, so it will be a quick turnaround for him. Both fighters have shown incredible grit throughout their current winning streaks, and the winner of this fight should find themselves taking on a top-level welterweight.