- Henderson vs. Boetsch Headlines UFC Fight Night 68 With Bader Off Card
- Malki Kawa Says We May Have Seen The Last Of Jon Jones
- TJ Dillashaw: The UFC Did The Right Thing With Jon Jones
- Thomas Almeida vs. Brad Pickett On For UFC 189 In July
- Daniel Cormier Defends His Record: I Only Lost To The Champion
- Conor McGregor Adds Monster Energy To Growing ‘McGregor Inc.’
- Dana White On UFC Injuries: We’re Going To Start Fixing This
- Melvin Guillard Signs Multi-Fight Deal With Bellator
- Quote: Title Shot For Luke Rockhold Makes Sense, Not Guaranteed
- After Machida, Luke Rockhold Wants Weidman In New York
Tarec Saffiedine slated to fight Robbie Lawler at UFC on FOX 8
It appears that UFC on FOX 8 from Seattle is going to cause quite the shake-up in the UFC Welterweight division. Yesterday it was announced that Jake Ellenberger will square off against Rory MacDonald in a bout of top contenders. Today, news comes from MMA Junkie that former Strikeforce Champion Tarec Saffiedine will make his UFC debut against vaunted striker Robbie Lawler at the same event.
Both fighters come into the bout with momentum on their side, so it should be a good gauge for how ready they are to contend in the talented UFC 170 lb. pool. Saffiedine was last seen battering Nate Marquardt’s legs into a bloody mess, winning the Strikeforce Championship at their last event ever. Lawler made a very successful return to the UFC when he destroyed former title challenger Josh Koscheck with a first round TKO at UFC 157.
Now the two will clash at the Key Arena on July 27th, and the bout should promise to add more fireworks to growing event. Both fighters are extremely proficient strikers, although possessing two different styles. Lawler of course loves to stand and brawl, throwing power punches with great KO ability. Saffiedine is a more methodical, precise striker who uses great kickboxing to pick his opponents apart.
The Strikeforce imports are beginning to make waves in the UFC, and their impact will truly be judged at the April 20th UFC on FOX 7 when Gilbert Melendez challenges Ben Henderson for the UFC Lightweight title, and Daniel Cormier makes his UFC debut against Frank Mir. Later this summer, Tarec Saffiedine will now have his chance to make his own impact. More on UFC on FOX 8 from Seattle will follow as it is released.