- Josh Thomson Squares Off Against Tony Ferguson On July 15
- Benson Henderson & Michael Johnson Verbally Agree To Fight
- UFC 185 Drug Tests Come Back Negative
- Alexander Gustafsson Faces Glover Teixeira At UFC Fight Night 69 In Berlin
- Jose Aldo Says There Was ‘No Slap,’ Find Out For Yourself
- Ronda Rousey Joins ‘The Rock’ At WrestleMania To Throw ‘Triple H,’ Dana White Approves
- Anthony Pettis Has No Timetable For Return, Wants To Fight Nate Diaz
- WSOF 19: Justin Gaethje vs. Luis Palomino Video Highlights
Slugfest Alert! Matt Mitrione vs. Derrick Lewis Added To UFC Fight Night 50 In Connecticut
Just mere moments after an Alistair Overeem vs. Ben Rothwell heavyweight showdown was revealed for September 5’s UFC Fight Night 50 from Foxwoods Casino & Resort in Connecticut, another big man’s bout has been announced.
Matt Mitrione, who was set to take on Stefan Struve on the main card of last Saturday’s (July 5, 2014) UFC 175 from Las Vegas before “The Skyscraper” unfortunately fainted after returning from a heart condition, has found a new opponent in the form of power striker Derrick Lewis.
Lewis fought at Sunday night’s (July 6, 2014) The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 19 Finale, destroying Mitrione’s teammate Guto Inocente with a vicious first round onslaught. After the fight, he called out for UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez, but said he’d also like to fight Mitrione.
“Black Beast” has won two straight in the Octagon after debuting with a first round TKO over Jack May at UFC on FOX 11. The former Legacy FC heavyweight champion has won five straight altogether.
He quickly got his chance to face “Meathead,” who was last seen defeating Shawn Jordan at March 1’s TUF China Finale from in Macau. Prior to that, the former NFL football player suffered a UFC 165 submission loss to fellow TUF 10 veteran Brendan Schaub. He’s won two out of his last three fights via knockout, but has also lost three of his last five.