- Josh Thomson Squares Off Against Tony Ferguson On July 15
- Benson Henderson & Michael Johnson Verbally Agree To Fight
- UFC 185 Drug Tests Come Back Negative
- Alexander Gustafsson Faces Glover Teixeira At UFC Fight Night 69 In Berlin
- Jose Aldo Says There Was ‘No Slap,’ Find Out For Yourself
- Ronda Rousey Joins ‘The Rock’ At WrestleMania To Throw ‘Triple H,’ Dana White Approves
- Anthony Pettis Has No Timetable For Return, Wants To Fight Nate Diaz
- WSOF 19: Justin Gaethje vs. Luis Palomino Video Highlights
POLL: Should Dominick Cruz Get An Immediate Title Shot When He Returns?
Former UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz has had the worst run of luck in recent MMA memory; ‘The Dominator’ was set to return from a two-year hiatus in early 2014, and waiting for him was interim boss Renan Barao. In stepped the injury curse, in the form of a groin tear, and Cruz was left with no option but to vacate his title.
Barao went on to win the battle for the vacant belt at UFC 169, as he TKO’d Urijah Faber in the first round of their second bout. Word is that Cruz is back in the gym, and UFC president Dana White spoke about ‘The Dominator’ at the UFC on Fox 11 media scrum, stating:
“If he wanted to fight Barao (when he returns) yeah, I’d do it. But Barao is one of those guys….Barao is so nasty. I’d fight somebody else, if it was me, personally.”
I highly doubt that Cruz is the type of guy to turn down the title shot because of the dangerous champion, so the fight is almost certain to happen eventually. Although, TJ Dillashaw could well be the champion by then. Either way, do you think that Cruz should get the immediate crack at the belt after such an absence from the game? I mean, it’s hardly like the bantamweight division is crammed with contenders…
Cruz ruled the division from his March 2010 championship win in the WEC, to his second UFC fight in October 2011, and is currently unbeaten in his last 10. Take a vote and let me know your thoughts.