- Dustin Poirier Returning To Lightweight In 2015
- CM Punk Targeting Late 2015 UFC Debut
- Rashad Evans vs. Glover Teixeira Reportedly Agreed Upon For UFC Fight Night 60 In Brazil
- UFC Fight Night 58: Lyoto Machida vs CB Dollaway Breakdown
- Michael Bisping Disagrees With “Butthurt” Fighters Behind UFC Lawsuit
- Jon Jones ‘Offended’ The UFC Showed Death Threat Video
- Daniel Cormier: I’m Looking To Rid MMA Of Jon Jones
- Rory MacDonald Informed He Won’t Fight For Title, Will Just ‘Light Up’ Whoever’s Next
Shane Carwin officially retires from Mixed Martial Arts
Well it seems like the former heavyweight interim-champion has officially decided to hang’em up.
After suffering what must have been two very long and frustrating years out of action due to various injuries and rehab, Shane Carwin has officially retired via his twitter account:
Carwin was considered one of MMA’s very best heavyweights just a couple of years ago. Banging off 8 consecutive victories, all of which he ended in the very first round, he seemed to make enough of a statement in the division for the UFC to give him a look.
Carwin was finally given his opportunity to fight Brock Lesnar for the belt, a fight which he completely dominated and almost finished until his body seized up in the second round allowing Lesnar to catch him in an arm triangle submission.
Carwin then suffered two serious back to back injuries that have left him out of the sport ever since his last loss to Junior dos Santos in June of 2011. With the combination of injuries and his ever increasing age of 38, it seems his body is no longer able to restore itself to the shape it once was that saw him flattening all opponents with little effort and tremendous power.
If there has ever been a retirement that is truly disappointing to see it’s this one. I was a big fan of Carwin, he had the potential to be one of the greatest heavyweights of all time. With that said I wish him all the best in his future endeavours and hope to see him still working around MMA and the UFC in some capacity.
Were you not entertained?