- Dustin Poirier Returning To Lightweight In 2015
- CM Punk Targeting Late 2015 UFC Debut
- Rashad Evans vs. Glover Teixeira Reportedly Agreed Upon For UFC Fight Night 60 In Brazil
- UFC Fight Night 58: Lyoto Machida vs CB Dollaway Breakdown
- Michael Bisping Disagrees With “Butthurt” Fighters Behind UFC Lawsuit
- Jon Jones ‘Offended’ The UFC Showed Death Threat Video
- Daniel Cormier: I’m Looking To Rid MMA Of Jon Jones
- Rory MacDonald Informed He Won’t Fight For Title, Will Just ‘Light Up’ Whoever’s Next
Report: Thiago Silva Arrested For Battery With A Weapon, Attempted Murder
UFC light-heavyweight Thiago Silva has been in and out of the news recently, for mainly the wrong reasons. After numerous failed drugs tests, it appeared that the Brazilian had found his feet again; joining the Blackzilians and scoring back to back wins over Rafael Cavalcante and Matt Hamill.
News emerged late last night that Silva was involved in an alleged armed stand off with police officers at his home in Oakland Park, Florida. The stand off ended late last night, but only after Silva had apparently comitted domestic violence, felony attempted murder, resisting, and battery with a deadly weapon.
Sources close to the situation claimed that the dispute had begun as a domestic situation between Silva and his wife, and then had escalated when Silva went to the Jiu Jitsu school ran by Pablo Popovitch on Oakland Park Blvd and started threatening students of the school.
Zuffa released this official statement:
“This evening, we were made aware of a situation involving Thiago Silva. We are in the process of gathering the facts and have no further comment at this time.”
The situation apparently ended after an armed standoff that went on well past midnight, when SWAT officers took the troubled fighter in to custody. The arrest files on Silva are available to view here, and the less than flattering mugshot is below.
The lacklustre performance that Silva put forth against Hamill could well be the last one we see from the embattled Brazilian, and I hope the best for him. There are no winners in these sorts of situations.