- Just How Far Will Edson Barboza Go?
- Cub Swanson Thanks Frankie Edgar For Teaching Him A Lesson
- Poll: Who Deserves The Next UFC Featherweight Title Shot?
- Frankie Edgar Says He Should Be Next For Jose Aldo
- UFC Fight Night 57: Frankie Edgar vs. Cub Swanson Highlights
- UFC Fight Night 57: Edson Barboza vs. Bobby Green Highlights
Mirko Cro Cop makes successful MMA return with first round submission
Mirko Cro Cop has successfully made his return to the MMA arena. Facing Shinichi Suzukawa at the New Year’s Eve Inoki Boom Ba Ye, Cro Cop showed no ring rust at all following his retirement a little over a year ago.
The fight was destined to last only a very short time, as Cro Cop not surprisingly came out aggressive with his trademark standup, but then decided to pull a new trick out of the bag. Taking Suzukawa down with surprising ease, Cro Cop then finished off his pro wrestler opponent with an armbar submission.
A successful return for the famed former Pride Heavyweight Grand Prix winner, who came to the UFC all the way back in 2007 riding an unprecedented amount of hype. That hype was never realized, as Gabriel Gonzaga seemed to take the wind out of Cro Cop’s sails with his own move, the vicious headkick.
He finished with a very subpar record of 4 wins and 6 losses in the Octagon, a far cry from his almost indestructible image in Japan. Now he is back fighting in the country where he gained his fame. It may not be Pride, but Mirko Filipovic has made a victorious return.