- Dana White Clarifies Jon Jones Rehabilitation Stint
- UFC 183 Embedded Episode 2
- UFC 183: Anderson Silva Open Workout Highlights & Media Scrum
- Lorenzo Fertitta Guarantees CM Punk’s First Opponent Will Be ‘Competitive’
- Ovince St. Preux vs. Patrick Cummins Added To UFC on FOX 15
- Update: Nick Diaz No-Shows UFC 183 Open Workouts, But Is Now In Las Vegas
- Jon Jones vs. Anthony Johnson Targeted For May
Mike Pierce Diagnosed With Severe MCL Sprain From Palhares Heel Hook
Mike Pierce’s loss to Rousimar Palhares at least week’s UFN 29 has been in the news in a big way lately, but for absolutely all the wrong reasons. Pierce was seen tapping out repeatedly to an early Palhares heel hook, screaming in pain as the referee rushed in to physically pull ‘Toquinho’ away from the hold.
The transgression resulted in Palhares’ release and life-long ban from the UFC. It has also drawn a ton of heat, criticism, and response surrounding the troubled Palhares, who’s been known to tweak leglocks far too often. And it appears to getting worse.
Today, news comes from MMA Junkie that Pierce suffered a sprained MCL in his left knee as a result of the hold. Pierce is also awaiting the results of an MRI on his left ankle. Thankfully, the injury most likely won’t require surgery as of right now. Pierce was handed down a 180-day medical suspension following the unfortunate fight, but he will most likely to be able to return sooner with a doctor’s clearance.
It’s been a rough last week for Pierce, who had a ton of insult added to injury (literally). Despite the wrongdoing of Palhares, he showed that a Brazilian Jiu-jitsu wiz could take him out rather easily. Pierce was never the most favored fighter of the UFC brass, and even though he was a victim at UFN 29, he ultimately lost. It’s probably going to be a move back down to the Facebook cards for Pierce.
Here’s to hoping that his injuries heal up quickly and effectively.
Outer Photo: Jason Silva for USA TODAY Sports