- Jose Aldo vs. Conor McGregor Official For UFC 189 Main Event In July
- Ray Longo Doesn’t Want To See Chris Weidman vs. Anderson Silva Again
- UFC 183 Weigh-Ins Video & Results Silva 186 Diaz 185
- UFC 183 LowKick MMA Staff Predictions
- Contradiction! Anderson Silva May Not Get Title Shot If He Beats Nick Diaz
- UFC 183 Embedded Episode 3
- UFC 183 Pre-Fight Staredowns: Anderson Silva & Nick Diaz Face Off
- Chris Weidman Injured, UFC 184 Bout With Vitor Belfort Cancelled
- Is Nick Diaz Fighting Anderson Silva Strictly For The Paycheck?
Machida Not Impressed With Jones’ Recent Fights, Thinks Teixeira Could Beat Him
In speaking with “Fighthub.TV”, former light-heavyweight champion Lyoto Machida had a mixed bag of statements about current division champion and rival, Jon Jones.
Since their last meeting, “The Dragon” said he hasn’t been impressed with Jones’s Octagon performances and more particularly who he’s faced. Although Machida acknowledges that Jones is a “great fighter”, he feels the champion has been dining on a lesser crew of late and not facking legitimate 205 opponents. In support of his claim, Lyoto made note of Belfort and Sonnen, saying that they are middleweights and not true light-heavyweights and as such, weren’t much of a challenge.
Machida believes that he has what it takes to defeat Jones, but also feels that Glover Teixeira could well beat Jones too, stating:
“I think Glover, he’s great technique, he’s a very strong guy. He’s training to fight and he can beat Jon Jones one day. He’s good. He’s difficult to take him down. He defends all the time and technique and good cardio, too. I think Glover can beat Jon Jones.”
On the topic of Chael Sonnen, Lyoto said that he was frustrated that he got a title-shot and believed that all Sonnen might have been able to do was take Jones down and wait on a judge’s decision.
Further, he feels that Sonnen talked his way into the fight rather than earned it. However, Machida also acknowledged that hype is part of the business and that Sonnen is a master of it. That said, he thinks Chael “talks too much” and that “as a fighter maybe he has to show more than talk.”