- Josh Thomson Squares Off Against Tony Ferguson On July 15
- Benson Henderson & Michael Johnson Verbally Agree To Fight
- UFC 185 Drug Tests Come Back Negative
- Alexander Gustafsson Faces Glover Teixeira At UFC Fight Night 69 In Berlin
- Jose Aldo Says There Was ‘No Slap,’ Find Out For Yourself
- Ronda Rousey Joins ‘The Rock’ At WrestleMania To Throw ‘Triple H,’ Dana White Approves
- Anthony Pettis Has No Timetable For Return, Wants To Fight Nate Diaz
- WSOF 19: Justin Gaethje vs. Luis Palomino Video Highlights
Lombard / Marquardt, Spong & Cruz News
Hector Lombard has been given his first fight at welterweight and his opponent is Nate Marquardt. The bout will take place at UFC 166 in Houston and will see the two as the lead-up fight to Velasquez / JDS 3.
Both “Lightning” and “The Great” have struggled of late and neither has made any noise in their respective divisions. For Lombard, the lack of success has made him rethink his weight and has caused him to drop down from middle to welterweight. Marquardt‘s own lack of success at 185 drew him to a similar conclusion back in 2011. That said, the shift in divisions has not done much for The Great’s win record (2 & 2) since.
The big question regarding the bout will be whether or not Lombard can actually hit 170. However, Lightning has already shed (some) 30 pounds and is now walking around at a much smaller 190 and feels that he can hit 170 come weigh-in. Further, nutrition guru Mick Dolce has been brought on board to help Lombard with the cut.
In terms of Dominick Cruz, it’s beginning to look like we might see “The Dominator” back by December or January. Good news for Cruz fans to be sure, as the 27 year old champ hasn’t been in the ring since October of 2011. The bad news is, if indeed it is bad news, is that there will be no tune-up fight for the bantamweight champion and that his first fight out of the gate will be the winner of Barao / Wineland. As most expect Barao to win, it means that the Dominator will have a tough match on his hands first fight back.
In WSOF news, it was announced that Tyrone “King of the Ring” Spong will face off against Angel “The Dream” DeAnda at WSOF 4, August 10th in California. Both are heavy hitters with KO power and the bout portends to be an exciting light-heavyweight match.
For more discussion, check out the “Fight News Now Extra” video.