- UFN 50 Medical Suspensions: ‘Jacare’ & Rothwell Out Indefinitely
- Diego Sanchez And Norman Parke Heating Things Up
- Rin Nakai: Tate Is Beautiful And Sexy
- Should Conor McGregor Get Title Shot With Win Over “Diamond”?
- Fedor Emelianenko Has No Regrets
- Frank Mir: I Really Don’t Know If I’ll Return
- UFC Rankings Update: Andrei Arlovski Storms Into Top 10
- Tate Looking For Rematch With Zingano With Win Over Nakai
- Alistair Overeem Welcomes All Comers For Next Opponent
- Khabib Nurmagomedov Wants Title, Picks Cerrone Over Alvarez
Jamie Varner Set To Take On James Krause At UFC 173
A pivotal matchup in the lightweight division has been added to UFC 173 in May. Former WEC champion Jamie Varner has been booked to take on RFA veteran James Krause. The fight has been added to the lineup the UFC’s annual Memorial Day weekend card, which will go down in Las Vegas Nevada.
UFC 173 features a middleweight title fight in the main event, as Chris Weidman will look to defend his world title for the second time against former light-heavyweight champion, Vitor Belfort.
Chael Sonnen and Wanderlei Silva were booked for the co-main event of the Las Vegas card, but the fight was then dropped and moved to a later date.
Krause will be looking to get back in the win column after suffering a controversial TKO loss to Bobby Green back at UFC Fight Night 31. The loss to Green was the first setback for Krause in over two years, after going on an impressive eight-fight win streak. In his UFC debut back in June of last year, Krause battled with Sam Stout for two rounds before submitting him with a guillotine choke in the third. The performance earned him an extra $100,000, for picking up two bonuses in “Fight of the Night” and Submission of the Night”.
Varner will be desperate for a win over Krause after having disappointing losses in his last two outings. We last seen the 29-year old in action at the start of the month, where he was viciously knocked out by Abel Trujillo after going toe-to-toe with his opponent. Prior to Varner’s loss to Krause, he suffered a ultra-thin split-decision loss again Brazilian veteran, Gleison Tibau. Overall, Varner is 1-3 in his last four fights with his only win coming over Melvin Guillard.
The lineup for UFC 173 so far, looks as followed:
Chris Weidman vs. Vitor Belfort – for the middleweight title
James Krause vs. Jamie Varner
Chris Holdsworth vs. Kyung Ho Kang
Doo Ho Choi vs. Sam Sicilia
Photo: Joe Camporeale for USA TODAY Sports