- Ohio Prosecutor Drops Alleged Assault Case Against Matt Brown
- UFC May Be Targeting Brock Lesnar vs. Frank Mir 3 For Madison Square Garden
- Anthony Johnson Doubts Jon Jones Will Train Year-Round
- UFC 187 Keeps Growing: Uriah Hall Faces Rafael Natal
- Ronda Rousey Won’t Say She’s Incapable Of Beating Anyone
- Vitor Belfort: I Was Tested Seven Times For My Fight With Weidman – Was He?
- Conor McGregor: Zingano Looked Rushed
- Jon Jones’ Legal Team Looking Into Possible Foul Play Regarding January Drug Test
- What’s The Point Of Debating Ronda Rousey’s Ability To Defeat Male Fighters?
Jake Ellenberger Latest To Sign Up For Carlos Condit Fight At UFC 171
The UFC Welterweight division is a drastically changed landscape since the departure of Georges St-Pierre, the longtime 170-pound boss has stepped away from the sport and relinquished the title in favor of some r & r time. The vacant title will be competed for by Johny Hendricks and Robbie Lawler, but there is another interesting match up in the making right now; Carlos Condit vs. Jake Ellenberger II.
The two first met back in 2009 at UFC Fight Night Diaz vs. Guillard, where Condit scored a split decision win over ‘Juggernaut’. Ellenberger took to his twitter account to clarify his stance on the potential match up which would go down at UFC 171:
I’ve been getting bombarded from the fans about Condit/Ellenberger II fight -If that’s what you guys want, I’m in!
— Jake Ellenberger (@EllenbergerMMA) December 16, 2013
Condit was slated to face Matt Brown at UFC on Fox 9, but Brown was forced to withdraw due to injury and we are yet to hear of a replacement for ‘The Immortal’. Tyrone Woodley has been crossed off the list by Dana White, Nick Diaz turned down the fight at 171 and now it seems that Ellenberger might actualy make sense as a title eliminator opponent.
Rory McDonald is coming off a very sub par performance so he is off the list, Hendricks/Lawler are tied up and Brown may feel quite hard done by at this point. I was quite surprised to hear about Nick Diaz turning down the Condit fight, especially given the fact that Diaz is unranked and inactive right now.
I would be quite intrigued if the UFC were to book Ellenberger against Condit, mainly because they would likely put on a pretty sweet show. Any thoughts on who might emerge victor in a fight between ‘The Natural Born Killer’ and ‘The Juggernaut’?
Photo Credit: Eric Bolte for USA TODAY Sports