- Anthony Pettis Says He Was Only At 75 Percent When He Won The Title
- Phil Davis vs Ryan Bader Official For UFC On FOX 14
- Who Will Be UFC Bantamweight Champion At The End Of 2015?
- UFC 181 Extended Video Preview
- Poll: Has Robbie Lawler Improved Enough To Beat Johny Hendricks?
- Nick Diaz Says He Would Have Failed Drug Test After GSP Fight
- UFC Fight Night 57 Super Slo-Mo Highlights
- Matt Brown: What The F–k Has Conor Done Compared To Frankie?
- “Rumble” Thinks Alexander Gustafsson Is As Dangerous As Jon Jones
- Vitor Belfort Says He’s Actually Better Without TRT
Invicta 5 Recap: Michelle Waterson wins title in a war
Invicta FC 5 is in the books from Kansas City, MO, and the event delivered in a big way for WMMA with two top-level title fights and the return of Cristiane “Cyborg” Santos. Cyborg made her return to the cage against Fiona Muxlow as an absolutely massive -3000 favorite. It was for good reason, as Santos ended the fight early with a one-sided barrage of her trademark strikes. She will face off with Marloes Coenen for the title in her next bout.
Moving on to the co-main event, Miletich Fighting Systems product Barbara Honchak fought Vanessa Porto for the inaugural Invicta Flyweight Championship. Despite Porto’s effective use of leg kicks throughout, Honchak was able to win the bout with crisp and accurate striking coupled with a seemingly endless gas tank.
In the main event, Atomweight Champion Jessica Penne fought Michelle “The Karate Hottie” Waterson for the title. The bout was an absolute Jiujitsu clinic, with Penne holding the advantage in dominant positions early on. It looked like Penne had the win cinched when she locked on a tight armbar, but Waterson miraculously escaped to persevere.
Waterson found an armbar of her own in the middle of the fourth round, causing Penne to tap, giving Waterson the belt. Nothing taken away from Penne though, as both fighters fought an absolute war. Invicta 5 was a great showcase for Women’s MMA, and hopefully a sign of good things to come for this fast-growing side of the sport.
Invicta 5 Full Results:
Michelle Waterson def. Jessica Penne? via R4 Submission (Armbar)
Cristiane Santos def. Fiona Muxlow ?via R1 TKO (strikes)
Sarah Kaufman def. Leslie Smith via Split Decision
Julia Budd def. Mollie Estes via R3 Submission (Rear Naked Choke)
Bec Hyatt def. Jasminka Cive via R1 Submission (Armbar)
Miriam Nakamoto def. Jessamyn Duke via R1 TKO (Knee)
Katja Kankaanpää def. Juliana Carneiro Lima via Decision
Alex Chambers def. Jodie Esquibel via R1 Submission (Rear Naked Choke)
Rose Namajunas def. Kathina Catron via R1 Submission (Flying Armbar)
Simona Soukupova def. R3 Cassie Rodish via R3 Submission (Guillotine Choke)