- Poll: How Should The UFC Punish Jon Jones?
- Albuquerque Police Pursuing Felony Arrest Warrant For Jon Jones
- Read The Official Police Report From Jon Jones’ Hit-And-Run
- Tim Kennedy: ‘Karate Is Dead, Rockhold Destroyed Machida Effortlessly’
- Jon Jones Update: Police Found Marijuana, Pipe After ‘Bones’ Fled Scene
- Rafael Dos Anjos Wants Fight With ‘Disrespectful’ Conor McGregor
- Jon Jones Upgraded To Suspect In New Mexico Hit-And-Run Accident
- Poll: Is Demetrious Johnson The World’s No. 1 Pound-For-Pound Fighter?
- Matt Brown vs. Tim Means Official for UFC 189
- After Machida, Luke Rockhold Wants Weidman In New York
Invicta 5 Recap: Michelle Waterson wins title in a war
Invicta FC 5 is in the books from Kansas City, MO, and the event delivered in a big way for WMMA with two top-level title fights and the return of Cristiane “Cyborg” Santos. Cyborg made her return to the cage against Fiona Muxlow as an absolutely massive -3000 favorite. It was for good reason, as Santos ended the fight early with a one-sided barrage of her trademark strikes. She will face off with Marloes Coenen for the title in her next bout.
Moving on to the co-main event, Miletich Fighting Systems product Barbara Honchak fought Vanessa Porto for the inaugural Invicta Flyweight Championship. Despite Porto’s effective use of leg kicks throughout, Honchak was able to win the bout with crisp and accurate striking coupled with a seemingly endless gas tank.
In the main event, Atomweight Champion Jessica Penne fought Michelle “The Karate Hottie” Waterson for the title. The bout was an absolute Jiujitsu clinic, with Penne holding the advantage in dominant positions early on. It looked like Penne had the win cinched when she locked on a tight armbar, but Waterson miraculously escaped to persevere.
Waterson found an armbar of her own in the middle of the fourth round, causing Penne to tap, giving Waterson the belt. Nothing taken away from Penne though, as both fighters fought an absolute war. Invicta 5 was a great showcase for Women’s MMA, and hopefully a sign of good things to come for this fast-growing side of the sport.
Invicta 5 Full Results:
Michelle Waterson def. Jessica Penne? via R4 Submission (Armbar)
Cristiane Santos def. Fiona Muxlow ?via R1 TKO (strikes)
Sarah Kaufman def. Leslie Smith via Split Decision
Julia Budd def. Mollie Estes via R3 Submission (Rear Naked Choke)
Bec Hyatt def. Jasminka Cive via R1 Submission (Armbar)
Miriam Nakamoto def. Jessamyn Duke via R1 TKO (Knee)
Katja Kankaanpää def. Juliana Carneiro Lima via Decision
Alex Chambers def. Jodie Esquibel via R1 Submission (Rear Naked Choke)
Rose Namajunas def. Kathina Catron via R1 Submission (Flying Armbar)
Simona Soukupova def. R3 Cassie Rodish via R3 Submission (Guillotine Choke)