- Jose Aldo Says Chad Mendes Hasn’t Changed Since UFC 142
- Why Georges St-Pierre Shouldn’t Rush To Return
- ‘Bones’ Knows? Nude Video Of Jon Jones On Snapchat Leaked Online
- Re-Debut: Henry Cejudo vs Dustin Kimura Added To UFC on FOX 13
- Will 2015 Spell The End Of Jon Jones’ Reign?
- Michael Bisping vs Luke Rockhold Counterpunch Video
- Daniel Cormier: I’m Always Thinking About Jon Jones
- Alexander Gustafsson vs Rashad Evans Rumored For January UFC In Sweden
- UFC 179: Glover Teixeira vs Phil Davis Fight Breakdown
- Poll: Predicting The Outcome Of UFC 179′s Main Event
Gray Maynard vs. Nate Diaz Set To Headline TUF 18 Finale After Pettis Injury
With the announcement that Anthony Pettis will indeed miss his UFC on Fox 9 lightweight title bout against Josh “Punk” Thomson, the Sacramento event was in need of a main event.
The Flyweight title match between champion Demetrious Johnson and Joseph Benavidez originally scheduled for the TUF 18 Finale on November 30 quickly stepped in to take the lightweight title tilt’s place. With the shift, it’s been announced Gray Maynard vs. Nate Diaz will now be the TUF 18 Finale’s main event.
It looks like Diaz is going to have to miss that high school reunion after all.
Maynard and Diaz have squared off twice before, with Diaz submitting “Bully” with a guillotine choke on TUF 5. Maynard got his revenge with a split decision victory over Diaz at UFC Fight Night 20. The two experienced vets will look to settle the score in a trilogy-ending rubber match that now has a lot more emphasis placed upon it.
The fight will be a telling show of which fighter has the skills to stay relevant in a packed and ever-evolving UFC Lightweight division.
Both are coming off of disheartening knockout losses. Diaz was throttled by Thomson at UFC on Fox 7 this April and has now lost two in a row. Maynard hasn’t fared much better, last seen getting knocked out by T.J. Grant at UFC 160 this May.
It’s a good bout to be sure, but does it have the strength to carry a card?