- Ryan Bader: Nobody Else Is Qualified For That Title Shot
- Carlos Condit Thinks Thiago Alves Is The Perfect Opponent
- Again? Floyd Mayweather Willing To Rematch Manny Pacquiao Next Year
- The UFC Plans Big Changes For Hall Of Fame
- Anthony Pettis Warns Khabib: When You Talk About Injuries, They Happen To You
- Joe Rogan Wonders If Brain Damage Aided Jon Jones’ Hit And Run
- Anthony Johnson: I Worked My A** Off To Get Where I Am
- LowKick MMA Is Hiring Writers & Contributors!
Erik Koch Set To Face Daron Cruickshank At UFC Fight Night In Cincinnati
Hot on the heels of his impressive finish over Rafaello Oliveira in his lightweight debut at last weekend’s UFC 170, Erik “New Breed” Koch already has his next fight lined up.
Set to face veteran Daron Cruickshank at this May’s upcoming UFC Fight Night 40 from the U.S. Bank Arena in Cincinnati, Ohio, former featherweight Koch is looking to continue his reinvention at 155 pounds.
After missing all of 2012 with unfortunate injuries and losing two fights to top featherweights Ricardo Lamas and Dustin Poirier in 2013, Koch decided it was time for a change. He looked good in Las Vegas last weekend, and Cruickshank should be a solid test for him.
Cruickshank recently got back on track by blasting Mike Rio into oblivion with a wheel kick at UFC on FOX 10 in January. The win righted the wrongs of his prior run, where Cruickshank dropped two of his previous three bouts to Adriano Martins and John Makdessi.
UFC Fight Night 40 will mark the promotion’s first return to Ohio in over six years. The event is without a main event for the time being, but with top contenders Matt Brown and Benson Henderson both looking to fight in May, the event could gain some serious star power quickly.
Earlier this month three bouts were added to the card, including a Rafael Natal vs. Ed Herman middleweight showdown. Featherweights Nik Lentz and Manny Gamburyan were soon to sign on, and just this week Eddie Wineland was matched up against Johnny Eduardo.
UFC Fight Night 40 is shaping up to be a triumphant return to Cincinnati. Will “New Breed” score his second victory at lightweight?
Stay tuned to LowKick MMA for any and all announcements about the upcoming event as they arise.
Photo: Stephen R. Sylvanie for USA TODAY Sports