- Jon Jones Upgraded To Suspect In New Mexico Hit-And-Run Accident
- Poll: Is Demetrious Johnson The World’s No. 1 Pound-For-Pound Fighter?
- What’s Next For UFC 186’s Biggest Winners?
- Rashad Evans Would ‘Definitely Give Rampage A Rematch’
- UFC 186: Michael Bisping vs. C.B. Dollaway Video Highlights
- UFC 186: Rampage Jackson vs. Fabio Maldonado Video Highlights
- UFC 186: Demetrious Johnson vs. Kyoji Horiguchi Video Highlights
- Al Iaquinta Meets Bobby Green At UFC on FOX 16
- UFC 186 Bonuses: ‘Mighty Mouse’ Leads List Of Four $50,000 Winners
- UFC 186 Post-Fight Press Conference
Duane ‘Bang’ Ludwig: It Wasn’t F***ing Supposed To Be Like This
The news that Duane ‘Bang’ Ludwig was leaving Team Alpha Male came as a shock to most fans; The UFC veteran’s presence had helped fighters like Urijah Faber, Jo Benavidez and Chad Mendes by sharpening their stand up skills beyond measurement.
Ludwig’s move to open his own business came during an episode of ‘UFC Tonight’, although ‘Bang’ says he never intended it to be that way. In fact, Ludwig claims that he hadn’t even started plans for the move. Check out what he had to say to MMAJunkie:
“It wasn’t f*****g supposed to be like this, man, I’m not going to bounce on anybody’s fight camp. Then [Faber] f*****g went and told the team and did a press release before I knew. I’m like, ‘What the hell?’”
“That’s why it was a bit sudden, because I was just giving Urijah the heads up; I didn’t really have much planned. I think he kind of jumped [the gun],” said Ludwig.
So Faber’s releasing of the information before Ludwig was ready may have actually fast tracked the process, which is quite a surprising turn of events. ‘Bang’ continued with an explanation of his plans:
“I’m still working paycheck to paycheck. I’ve got to set up a business; that’s just the smartest move. Plus, Colorado’s home. I’ve got to get my family back and get my life situated again. I’ve got to be smart about my finances, and right now, this isn’t a smart thing to do.”
It would seem that this situation got blown out of proportion, and that he may have been around for longer had the news not been released so early on. Ludwig then goes on to say that he will still have a hand in training the Alpha Male squad:
“I’m still going to have an open window for them to come train with me and to bring me out for training camps and seminars and stuff,” he said of his relationship with Alpha Male. “They’re still going to be an affiliate of mine with the ‘Bang Muay Thai System.’ It’s just time to open my own business.”
Perhaps things aren’t so bad for the guys that benefit so much from Ludwig’s tutelage; he still wants to help with fight camps, and it’s only fair that he should look after his own finances and working life.