- Ian McCall vs John Lineker Official For UFC 183
- UFC Rankings Report: Edgar, Barboza Trending Upward
- Ben Rothwell Tells ‘Brain Damaged’ Alistair Overeem To Stay Out Of The Media
- Alexander Gustafsson & Anthony Johnson Work Out In Sweden
- Quote: Frankie Edgar Outstruck Jose Aldo For Three Rounds
- Vitor Belfort Says He’s Actually Better Without TRT
- Urijah Faber: TJ Dillashaw & Chad Mendes Could Both Beat Jose Aldo
- Poll: Who Deserves The Next UFC Featherweight Title Shot?
Cerrone vs. Nurmagomedov Added To Stacked UFC 178; Fight Falls Apart When ‘The Eagle’ Blows Out Knee
UFC lightweight Donald Cerrone has been flying high in his recent outings, and most recently dispatched of Jim Miller in the second round of their UFC Fight Night 45 meeting. Word on the grapevine is that a 155-pound clash between ‘Cowboy’ and Khabib Nurmagomedov was in the works, but the news was made official today, and you won’t believe where the bout will take place.
Khabib vs. Cerrone at UFC 178. You like? Good, it’s done. Now back to semi-vacation … #ICantQuitYouMMA
— Mike Chiappetta MMA (@MikeChiappetta) July 18, 2014
If this fight sounded too good to be true, it probably was, because Dana White just clarified at today’s UFC Fight Night 46 Q& A session that Nurmagomedov tore up his knee training 20 minutes after the fight was announced:
. @danawhite says 20 minutes after Khabib-Cerrone fight was signed, Khabib blew his knee out and the fight is off UFC 178 card
— Kevin Iole (@KevinI) July 18, 2014
Ouch. Cerrone will reportedly get another opponent on the card, but White said called a rematch with Nate Diaz, who is apparently disgruntled after witnessing Gilbert Melendez sign a lucrative contract, “ridiculous.”
Who should be up next for “Cowboy” now?
Photo: David Manning for USA TODAY Sports