- UFC 183 Embedded Episode 1
- Brian Bowles Arrested For Possession Of Methamphetamine
- Igor Pokrajac And Five Others Cut From The UFC
- Julianna Pena Returns Against Milana Dudieva At UFC Fight Night 63
- UFC 183: Up Close & Personal – Anderson Silva
- Rashad Evans Predicts Anthony Johnson Will Knock Out Jon Jones
- Cris Cyborg Return Set For Same Weekend & City As Ronda Rousey
- Jose Aldo vs Conor McGregor Postponed Until Mid-Summer
Dana White Needs An Opponent For Khabib Nurmagomedov, Michael Johnson Volunteers
Khabib Nurmagomedov is still without an opponent after Gilbert Melendez dropped out of their planned UFC 170 bout. The reasons behind Melendez dropping out were pretty vague, it seems it was just a case of bad timing. What we do know is that there aren’t many fighters willing to face ‘The Eagle’.
Nurmagomedov has an outstanding 21-0 record, and is a dynamo at 155. UFC president Dana White took to his twitter account to voice his difficulty in finding an opponent for the Russian Sambo champion:
Nate Diaz had originally been linked to the Russian prospect, but it seems that negotiations had come to a halt for unknown reasons. Props to White for the jab at Diaz there, but one fighter calling out everyone and their mamas is Michael Johnson. ‘The Menace’ just knocked out Gleison Tibau at UFC 168 and is definitely looking for a top opponent:
— Michael Johnson (@FollowTheMenace) January 12, 2014
— khabib nurmagomedov (@TeamKhabib) January 13, 2014
Johnson’s August 2013 win against Joe Lauzon put him in good standing and his beasting of the veteran Tibau showed that he is still evolving. Fighting out of the Blackzillians is obviously upping Johnson’s game and a fight with ‘The Eagle’ could be a barn burner.
As far as the rankings are concerned, Johnson sits at number 13 while Nurmagomedov resides in the seventh spot. The facts that White is so desperate for a replacement and that Johnson is on fire may be the deciding factors in making this exciting match a reality.
Photo credit Jayne Kamin-Oncea-USA TODAY Sports