- UFC 178: Conor McGregor vs Dustin Poirier Highlights
- UFC 178: Demetrious Johnson vs Chris Cariaso Highlights
- UFC 178 Post-Fight Bonuses: Cruz, McGregor Bank $50,000
- Tim Kennedy Will Appeal UFC 178 Loss To Yoel Romero
- UFC 178: Watch Dominick Cruz Destroy Takeya Mizugaki To Earn Next Title Shot
- UFC 178 Prelims Results: Dominick Cruz Dominates Takeya Mizugaki
- UFC 178 Main Card Results: McGregor Scores First Round Finish
Dana White Discloses $5 Million Fighter Paycheck
UFC President Dana White has once again set the interwebs alight with his comments, this time the issue is with fighter pay; but maybe not what we expected. During a Google + Hangout, DW may possibly have disclosed the highest single pay check that the UFC has ever passed down to one of it’s fighters.
Check out what White had to say when asked about fighter pay, in relation to Floyd Mayweather’s guaranteed 41.5 million haul this weekend:
“We paid a guy $5 million for a fight before, [but] we didn’t start making money until 2007. That was six years ago. So boxing’s been around for a 100 years, they’ve been doing big events since way back when. Pretty amazing what we have done in short amount of time. I don’t think a lot of people look at that way and break it down for what it really is.”
Well I’ll be damned; I did not see that one coming. The obvious speculation is who earned that goliath pay check? And the obvious answer from White was no comment. Brock Lesnar reportedly earned 500k+ in one showing for the UFC, and GSP must make a pretty fair share when he fights.
Of course any guesses would be pure speculation, but I would hazard a guess at GSP for the Diaz fight. White also had a recent boxing/MMA pay debate via his Twitter account:
@danrafaelespn we have been here for 13 years started making $ in 2007 continue to grow in the US and globally so I would have to say yes.
In such a huge week for combat sports, White seems to have his level head in play. Make the most of it while it lasts, you guys.