- After UFC Fight Night 58 Win, Renan Barao Wants To Bring Belt Back To Brazil
- Luke Rockhold Calls Out Lyoto Machida After UFC Fight Night 58
- Scott Coker Pulls Contract Card On Dana White Over Rampage
- UFC Fight Night 58: Renan Barao vs. Mitch Gagnon Full Fight Video Highlights
- UFC Fight Night 58: Lyoto Machida vs. CB Dollaway Full Fight Video Highlights
- UFC Fight Night 58 Post-Fight Bonuses: Four Earn “Performance of The Night” in Brazil
- UFC Fight Night 58 Post-Fight Press Conference
- *UPDATE* Rampage Jackson Will Return To UFC Despite Bellator Contract
- UFC Fight Night 58 Main Card Results: Machida Finishes Dollaway, Barao Submits Gagnon
- UFC Fight Night 58 Prelims Results
Dana White: As Long As Cain’s Recovery Is On Course, He’ll Fight Werdum Or Browne In Mexico
It’s become widely known that the winner of this Saturday night’s (April 19, 2014) UFC on FOX 11 main event between Fabricio Werdum and Travis Browne from the Amway Center in Orlando, Florida, will get the next shot at injured champion Cain Velasquez’s UFC heavyweight title.
And today, news has come that the bout could be an absolutely groundbreaking one.
Speaking at today’s UFC on FOX 11 pre-fight press conference, UFC President Dana White said that as long as Velasquez can return on time from his shoulder surgery, either Werdum or Browne would take on the champ in the UFC’s first foray into Mexico:
“Yeah…as long as Cain’s recovery is on course, then the fight will be in Mexico. I’m probably going to get in trouble for saying and announcing that.”
Velasquez headlining a card in his family’s home country of Mexico has been a distinct possibility for some time now. He was rumored to face Werdum there before another shoulder injury put the kibosh on those plans.
With Velasquez tentatively slated for a November return, that timetable could make sense for his long-rumored bout in Mexico. If the promotion can make it happen, it’ll undoubtedly be one of the most anticipated cards of the year.
But we’ve see potential blockbusters come and go when the details couldn’t be aligned just right. As with most UFC rumors, we’ll just have to wait and see what actually transpires.
However, the stage is set for a huge heavyweight title fight. Who will be Velasquez’ opponent if the UFC makes it happen?