- Urijah Faber Plans To Shake Up Featherweight By Defeating Frankie Edgar
- Rafael Dos Anjos: I Go In The Octagon To Kill A Guy
- Tyron Woodley Would Return To Meet Johny Hendricks At UFC 189
- Floyd Mayweather Vacates Titles: ‘It’s Time For Other Fighters’
- Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Scorecard & Punch Statistics
- Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Highlights
- After Machida, Luke Rockhold Wants Weidman In New York
- LowKick MMA Is Hiring Writers & Contributors!
Charles Oliveira Wants To Avenge Losses To Swanson And Edgar Next
On Saturday night Charles Oliveira picked up his first win inside the octagon since June 2012, submitting Andy Ogle with a triangle choke in the third round of their fight.
The win snapped a two-fight losing streak for the Brazilian after suffering losses to top ten featherweights: Frankie Edgar and Cub Swanson. Oliveira was hoping to knock out Ogle but he was happy to get the only submission win on the card:
“I came for the knockout and I almost got it, but I did what I do best and submitted him,” Oliveira told media after the fight. “The ‘you’re gonna die’ chant gets into your head, man. I went there like ‘ok, let’s kill this guy’.”
The win will have no doubt been a relief for “Do Bronx” with him being winless last year. Oliveira knows 2013 was a bad year for him but he believes injuries cost him fights which he otherwise would have won. If the 24-year old has his way, he will get the opportunity to avenge his losses this year.
“2013 was a tough year for me,” he said. “I fought injured, lost fights I wasn’t supposed to lose, but my family and teammates helped me a lot to overcome.”
“I want another opportunity against Cub Swanson. I was injured in that fight, it wasn’t my night. And I’m sure I’ll have another opportunity against Frankie (Edgar). I know that, and I will avenge those losses.”
Oliveira was knocked out by Swanson in the very first round of their fight back at UFC 152, however, he was having some success in the bout up until the point where he was finished. Ten months later Oliveira lost a close decision to the UFC’s former lightweight champion Edgar, the bout earned both men “Fight of the Night” honours.
With a win under his belt, Oliveira plans on getting back in the cage soon and hopes to have at least three more fights this year. If all goes well he hopes to get a title shot by early 2015.
“I want to fight again in two or three months,” he said. “I want three more fights this year. Who knows, maybe I’ll have my shot at the title early next year.”
“I’m in the UFC to fight anyone. I deserve to fight a top 10. I know I still have a lot to do to get to a fight with Jose Aldo, but I’ll get there one day. No one is unbeatable. There’s no super hero in MMA. He didn’t clean out the division.”
Personally, I would like to see Oliveira get a couple more wins under his belt before he challenges another elite featherweight. The Brazilian did look good on Saturday but Ogle is far from being in the top ten. Who do you think Oliveira should be matched up with next?