- Luke Rockhold Promises To Choke Chris Weidman At Madison Garden
- UFC on FOX 15: Paige VanZant vs. Felice Herrig Full Fight Video Highlights
- UFC on FOX 15: Luke Rockhold vs. Lyoto Machida Full Fight Video Highlights
- UFC on FOX 15 Bonuses: Rockhold, Holloway Bank $50,000
- UFC on FOX 15 Post-Fight Press Conference
- UFC on FOX 15 Main Card Results: Luke Rockhold Batters, Submits Lyoto Machida
- UFC on FOX 15 Preliminary Card Results: Dariush Dominates Miller
- Anderson Silva Looking To Represent Brazil In 2016 Summer Olympics
- After Machida, Luke Rockhold Wants Weidman In New York
- LowKick MMA Is Hiring Writers & Contributors!
Chael Sonnen’s Challenge to Wanderlei: I Will Donate 10% of My Purse to Schools in Brazil
Last night, multi-division UFC title challenger Chael Sonnen took to Twitter to continue his quest for a bout with longtime rival Wanderlei Silva. The rift between the two has been much publicized, discussed, and rumored, and is more likely to take place now than ever. Here’s the challenge Sonnen issued to the Brazilian ‘Axe Murderer’:
Wand- you have 24 hours to accept. If you do, I will donate 10% of my purse to help schools in your hometown of Curitiba .. I mean, VEGAS.
— chael sonnen (@sonnench) May 9, 2013
Strong words from the always-witty Sonnen, who was rumored to retire at age 36 after one-sided losses to both Anderson Silva and Jon Jones in his last two bouts. Silva finds himself with momentum after knocking out Brian Stann at UFC on Fuel TV 8 in Japan. Sonnen and Silva have repeatedly had words for one another, none more prevalent than their infamous video session while riding in a van.
For Sonnen, a bout with Silva could be a one-sided affair that gets him back into the winning column. There’s just no way that ‘The American Gangster’ would play to Wand’s strengths by standing and trading. Most would pick him to be a heavy favorite over Silva due to his wrestling pedigree.
For Silva, a bout with Sonnen is just what he needs to regain any semblance of relevancy, as the aging slugger has made the move up to light heavyweight just like Sonnen. It would be an incredibly tough bout for him, but at the same time, a win would be miraculous for the longtime Pride Champion.
It’s safe to say this is one fight that the fans want to see. True bad blood sells fights, and I think this is a legitimate beef between the two. When will it finally happen? It’s rumored for UFC on Fox Sports 1 in Brazil, which would be quite the spectacle.