- Conor McGregor: Zingano Looked Rushed
- Jon Jones’ Legal Team Looking Into Possible Foul Play Regarding January Drug Test
- Andrei Arlovski Would Love A Rematch With Fedor Emeliananko
- Anthony Pettis Believes He Can Take Over As UFC’s Top Star
- Hostilities Rise Between Cyborg and Ronda Rousey Camp
- Anderson Silva Surprised By Drug Test Drama, Talks Rematch With Nick Diaz
- Fedor Emelianenko Reveals That Russian Fighters Won’t Take His Advice
- Kelvin Gastelum, Efrain Escudero Named TUF: Latin America 2 Coaches
- UFC 193 Official In Melbourne
- What’s The Point Of Debating Ronda Rousey’s Ability To Defeat Male Fighters?
Chael Sonnen’s Challenge to Wanderlei: I Will Donate 10% of My Purse to Schools in Brazil
Last night, multi-division UFC title challenger Chael Sonnen took to Twitter to continue his quest for a bout with longtime rival Wanderlei Silva. The rift between the two has been much publicized, discussed, and rumored, and is more likely to take place now than ever. Here’s the challenge Sonnen issued to the Brazilian ‘Axe Murderer’:
Wand- you have 24 hours to accept. If you do, I will donate 10% of my purse to help schools in your hometown of Curitiba .. I mean, VEGAS.
— chael sonnen (@sonnench) May 9, 2013
Strong words from the always-witty Sonnen, who was rumored to retire at age 36 after one-sided losses to both Anderson Silva and Jon Jones in his last two bouts. Silva finds himself with momentum after knocking out Brian Stann at UFC on Fuel TV 8 in Japan. Sonnen and Silva have repeatedly had words for one another, none more prevalent than their infamous video session while riding in a van.
For Sonnen, a bout with Silva could be a one-sided affair that gets him back into the winning column. There’s just no way that ‘The American Gangster’ would play to Wand’s strengths by standing and trading. Most would pick him to be a heavy favorite over Silva due to his wrestling pedigree.
For Silva, a bout with Sonnen is just what he needs to regain any semblance of relevancy, as the aging slugger has made the move up to light heavyweight just like Sonnen. It would be an incredibly tough bout for him, but at the same time, a win would be miraculous for the longtime Pride Champion.
It’s safe to say this is one fight that the fans want to see. True bad blood sells fights, and I think this is a legitimate beef between the two. When will it finally happen? It’s rumored for UFC on Fox Sports 1 in Brazil, which would be quite the spectacle.