- Carlos Condit Thinks Thiago Alves Is The Perfect Opponent
- Again? Floyd Mayweather Willing To Rematch Manny Pacquiao Next Year
- The UFC Plans Big Changes For Hall Of Fame
- Anthony Pettis Warns Khabib: When You Talk About Injuries, They Happen To You
- Joe Rogan Wonders If Brain Damage Aided Jon Jones’ Hit And Run
- Anthony Johnson: I Worked My A** Off To Get Where I Am
- LowKick MMA Is Hiring Writers & Contributors!
Cain Velasquez vs. JDS III rumored for UFC 166 in Houston this October
In an afternoon of absolutely blockbuster fight announcements, Cain Velasquez will face off with archrival Junior dos Santos this fall, most likely in Houston. Tentatively set for UFC 166 this October, Dana White announced the news at today’s UFC 161 media scrum.
Talk of the heavyweight title fight being on a card with the Anderson Silva-Jon Jones superfight will have to wait, as it was also announced that Jones will defend his title against Alexander Gustafsson on September 21st in Toronto. A confirmed date and location is yet to be announced by the UFC.
Velasquez and dos Santos famously fought a one-sided slugfest at last December’s UFC 155, where Velasquez avenged his knockout loss to JDS the previous year. After rocking do Santos with a powerful overhand right in the first, Velasquez utilized his excellent wrestling to dominate JDS for the remainder of the bout.
Both put on rousing performances at last month’s UFC 160, with Velasquez destroying Bigfoot Silva via TKO for the second time, and dos Santos cleaning Mark Hunt’s clock with an emphatic third round wheel kick.
The trilogy bout stands to be an exciting grudge match between two heavyweights who have obviously separated from the rest of the pack. More on the insane afternoon of fight announcements as they arise!