- Junior Dos Santos: Alistair Overeem Isn’t As Buff As He Was Before
- Video: Watch Conor McGregor Steal Jose Aldo’s Belt In Dublin
- UFC 189 World Tour Press Conference Live From Dublin
- Ronda Rousey Hints She May Join ‘The Rock’ At Next Year’s Wrestlemania
- Dennis Bermudez Battles Jeremy Stephens At UFC 189
- Josh Thomson Squares Off Against Tony Ferguson On July 15
Breaking: Chris Weidman Out Of UFC 173 Title Fight With Knee Injury
In yet another unfortunate twist, UFC middleweight champion has been forced out his scheduled UFC 173 main event title bout against Lyoto Machida with a knee injury.
The UFC just broke the news online just moments ago:
Weidman will reportedly need minor surgery that will force the bout to be postponed until the UFC’s traditional blockbuster Fourth of July show, the UFC 175 card on July 5.
Machida will still be his opponent after replacing surging No. 1-ranked Vitor Belfort, who was forced out of the bout after the NSAC and UFC put a total ban of testosterone-replacement therapy in place.
No official main event has been announced for the May 24 Memorial Day card, but UFC officials said that a new headlining bout will be announced soon.
With champions Anthony “Showtime” Pettis, Cain Velasquez, and Johny Hendricks on the sidelines with injuries, this is some of the worst news that the promotion could have heard. Thankfully, it sounds like Weidman will be back rather soon after minor surgery. More on the situation as it develops.
Photo: Jayne Kamin-Oncea for USA TODAY Sports