- Scott Coker Pulls Contract Card On Dana White Over Rampage
- UFC Fight Night 58: Renan Barao vs. Mitch Gagnon Full Fight Video Highlights
- UFC Fight Night 58: Lyoto Machida vs. CB Dollaway Full Fight Video Highlights
- UFC Fight Night 58 Post-Fight Bonuses: Four Earn “Performance of The Night” in Brazil
- UFC Fight Night 58 Post-Fight Press Conference
- *UPDATE* Rampage Jackson Will Return To UFC Despite Bellator Contract
- UFC Fight Night 58 Main Card Results: Machida Finishes Dollaway, Barao Submits Gagnon
- UFC Fight Night 58 Prelims Results
‘Bigg Rigg’ Ranks His Top-5 Welterweights & Tyron Woodley Doesn’t Make The List
On Friday’s edition of Inside MMA, UFC Welterweight Champion Johny Hendricks and the show’s co-host, MMA legend Bas Rutten, picked their top five fighters in the 170 pound division.
In itemizing their picks, Hendricks and Rutten were in agreement over the first two slots – Lawler No. 1 and Rory MacDonald No. 2. However, in positions three through five, the pair parted company, with neither of them being in alignment with the UFC’s official rankings for the weight class.
In the three spot the champion affirmed Carlos Condit’s official standing, stating that even though he lost to Tryon Woodley at UFC 171 in March of this year (2014) and is currently sidelined by injury, that Condit will be back and definitely ranked in the top five.
However, regarding the No. 4 ranking and the aforementioned Tyron Woodley, who officially fills the spot, “Bigg Rigg” gave “The Chosen One” a pass and relieved him of his top five standing altogether. In his place, the champ picked the winner of the August 23 Hector Lombard vs. Dong Hyun Kim fight, which is slated for UFC Ultimate Fight Night (UFN) 48 in Macao, China. Hendrick’s stated his reasons for doing so were “self-explanatory.”
Falling in at No. 5 on the champ’s list and bringing him back into alignment with Rutten and the official standings, was Matt Brown. As Hendricks stated, “The Immortal” is fighting No. 1 ranked Robbie Lawler in a title challengers’ match next month – July 26, 2014, UFC on FOX 12 – and as such, he deserves to be a top five fighter.
As to which fighter Hendricks might prefer to meet out of that matchup – Lawler or Brown – the champ laughingly stated that he “(doesn’t) care.”
For all of the banter from the segment, including Bas Rutten’s picks, the AXS TV video is provided below.