- Ohio Prosecutor Drops Alleged Assault Case Against Matt Brown
- UFC May Be Targeting Brock Lesnar vs. Frank Mir 3 For Madison Square Garden
- Anthony Johnson Doubts Jon Jones Will Train Year-Round
- UFC 187 Keeps Growing: Uriah Hall Faces Rafael Natal
- Ronda Rousey Won’t Say She’s Incapable Of Beating Anyone
- Vitor Belfort: I Was Tested Seven Times For My Fight With Weidman – Was He?
- Conor McGregor: Zingano Looked Rushed
- Jon Jones’ Legal Team Looking Into Possible Foul Play Regarding January Drug Test
- What’s The Point Of Debating Ronda Rousey’s Ability To Defeat Male Fighters?
Bendo vs Melendez & Cormier vs Mir confirmed as main and co-main events for UFC on Fox 7
Looks like Daniel Cormier has been taking classes at the “Chael P. Sonnen International School of MMA Trash Talk”, and apparently it’s working. After calling out Frank Mir, the UFC has officially made Cormier’s request a reality and confirmed that a bout between the two heavyweights will take place at the HP Pavilion as the co-main event for UFC on Fox 7 scheduled April 20th.
After slowly rising up through the Strikeforce ranks and making the journey from relative nobody to household name, the remaining Strikeforce Heavyweight grand prix Champion, will finally be making his long-awaited UFC debut against former UFC Heavyweight Champion Frank Mir.
After the bout was confirmed, MMAFighting contacted Cormier who had this to say:
“I’m very happy to be fighting again in San Jose and for my UFC debut to be on FOX. I respect Frank a ton, but my plan is to go out and win. And win in a dominant fashion.”
“I am happy the UFC is making Frank live up to his obligation. We have unfinished business. This is a dream come true.”
Frank Mir will be fighting for the very first time since his loss to former UFC Heavyweight Champion Junior Dos Santos. While Daniel Cormier will look to continue his winning streak and carry out the second half of his plan with a drop to the Light-heavyweight division, with the intention of “Kicking Jon Jones’ ass” by the end of the year.
As originally reported by Yahoo! Sports the UFC has also officially confirmed that the main event of UFC on Fox 7 will be non-other than the title unification bout between remaining Strikeforce Lightweight Champion Gilbert Melendez and reigning UFC Lightweight Champion Benson Henderson.
After having experienced his friend and fellow teammate Nate Diaz defeated at the hands of the current UFC Lightweight Champion, it will be interesting to see what strategy Melendez employs in this bout. Only time will tell whether he avenges his fellow Ceaser Gracie teammate, while also providing us with an answer to the question… Who is the best Lightweight fighter in the world?