- Anderson Silva On Another Title Run : If I Have The Opportunity, It’s Possible
- Claudia Gadelha Injured, Out Of UFC Fight Night 64
- Ricardo Lamas: Conor McGregor Doesn’t Like It When The Tables Are Turned
- Cyborg’s Attempt To Make Bantamweight Back On For Next Fight
- Dana White Not Optimistic About GSP Return: He Hasn’t Been Hungry For A Long Time
- CABMMA Changes Drew Dober Loss To No Contest
Barao vs. McDonald for interim Bantamweight title
With Dominick Cruz out of action for what could be another year, the UFC has moved on with putting together an interim title bout between Renan Barao and Michael McDonald. The showdown was announced on Fuel TV’s UFC Tonight although an exact date and and location have yet to be determined.
The decision was made to move forward with Barao defending the interim title he earned by defeating Urijah Faber after it was announced that Dominick Cruz reinjured his knee that has kept him out of action for 2012. Cruz had to have a second surgery that looks like it will keep him down for most, if not all, of 2013 and unable to defend his title. The bantamweight champion hasn’t fought since October of 2011 when he defeated current Flyweight champ Demetrious Johnson. Cruz had to pull out of his fight with Faber at UFC 149 and gave Barao the opportunity to fight for an interim title. Barao took a unanimous decision victory and waited to see when Cruz would return. Unfortunately, the injury to Cruz leads to great fortune for McDonald.
The 21-year-old McDonald is 15-1 and coming off of a devastating knockout victory over Miguel Torres at UFC 145 that put Torres out of the UFC. McDonald is known as a finisher that has only two of his victories to come by way of decision. The rest have been knockots and submissions. Barao hasn’t lost since his first professional fight and is riding one of the longest unbeaten streaks in MMA with 30 wins in a row.
Safe to say that this will be one hell of a fight.