- UFC Bad Blood And UFC Countdown: Jones vs. Cormier To Air Tonight
- Edson Barboza vs. Michael Johnson Official For UFC Fight Night 61 Co-Main Event
- Rampage Jackson’s ‘Crazy’ Bellator Deal Included Reality TV Show, Movie Deal
- Gray Maynard Confirms New Deal With The UFC, Eyes March Return
- UFC vs Bellator? Jose Aldo & Patricio Freire Ponder Fighting
- Don Frye On UFC Lawsuit: They’re Going To Take Their Check And Run
- LowKickMMA’s Fight Of The Year 2014 – Aldo vs Mendes 2
- UFC Fight Pass Subscribers’ Personal Information Potentially Released By Hackers
- Report: Brock Lesnar Returning To UFC After Wrestlemania
Anderson Silva Says Teixeira Is The #1 Contender
Former middleweight champion and consensus #1 stand-up fighter in the world, Anderson Silva, today endorsed fellow Brazilian Glover Teixeira as the number one contender to fight Jon Jones.
Speaking to reporters, “The Spider” said that in his opinion “Glover is the number one contender for (a) fight with Jon Jones, because Glover (has) good technique, he’s strong and he’s (got) good wrestling.”
Anderson’s praises aside, one has to remember that before he can get a fight with the champion, Glover has to beat heavy-handed and powerful wrestler Ryan Bader, first (UFC Fight Night 28, September 4th).
Beyond that, Jones himself must survive Alexander Gustafsson at UFC 165, 17 days later.
Where I believe the 4 & 0 Teixeira is a solid fighter, having garnered 3 of his 4 wins by of stoppage (2 submissions & 1 TKO), one has to wonder what skills he brings to the table that Jones hasn’t either seen before or dealt with, and what his strategy would be to dethrone the un-defeated champion.
In particular, it would be interesting to see how Glover would deal with the champ’s eight-and-a-half reach advantage and phenomenal wrestling skills.