- Jacare Still Believes The Next Title Shot Will Be His
- UFC on FOX 15 Official Weigh-In Video & Results: Main Event Official
- Rafael dos Anjos Aims For November Return Following Surgery
- UFC on FOX 15 Q&A With Frankie Edgar Live Now
- Jon Jones: ‘Mr. JV’ Phil Davis Can’t ‘Crumble Me Like A Cookie’ In Bellator
- UFC on FOX 15 LowKick Predictions
- Phil Davis Reveals UFC Refused To Match Bellator’s Offer
- No Bad Blood? Felice Herrig & Paige VanZant Separated During Staredown
- Bobby Green To Anthony Pettis: ‘You Did Nothing Wrong, You Got Played Bro’
- Anderson Silva Looking To Represent Brazil In 2016 Summer Olympics
Anatomy Of A Kick & Jones’s Big Toe
The latest (all-the-rage) fan pleasing move in the Octagon is the spinning-wheel kick. Recently, we have seen it used in devastating and fight ending fashion by UFC notables Vitor Belfort and Jr. Dos Santos. Both used the kick in their last fights and to lay out their respective opponents (Luke Rockhold &Mark Hunt) in beautiful highlight reel moments.
This week on “Anatomy of a Kick” Dr. Robert Klapper, Chief of Orthopedic surgery at Cedars-Sinai Medical Group, breaks the move down in terms of the muscle groups used and how they’re actuated. He told Kenny Florian that it’s all about the “diagonally oriented muscles” above and below the waist, namely the Oblique and Gluteus.
Dr. Klapper stated that the Oblique muscles traverse the side of the waist diagonally and in such a manner at to allow the body to “coil up”. As they contract and shorten the power, torque and speed is developed.
The Orthopedic surgeion further stated that as the Gluteus is also a diagonally oriented muscle, it too allows the fighter to coil up and “spring out of it with such power that with 1 kick, you knock the guy’s head off.”
On the subject of the 205 Champion’s injured foot, Dr. Klapper reports that all is well and Jones’s big toe has healed up “cleanly”. 7 weeks post the injury, Bones Jones is now 100% and ready to start training for his upcoming bout with Alexander Gustafsson set for September 21rst, at UFC 165 in Toronto.