- UFC 186: Demetrious Johnson vs. Kyoji Horiguchi Video Highlights
- Al Iaquinta Meets Bobby Green At UFC on FOX 16
- UFC 186 Bonuses: ‘Mighty Mouse’ Leads List Of Four $50,000 Winners
- UFC 186 Post-Fight Press Conference
- UFC 186 Main Card Live Results: ‘Mighty Mouse’ Scores Latest Finish In UFC History
- Top Five ‘Rampage’ Knockouts Of All-Time
- UFC 186 Preliminary Card Results: Patrick Cote Outlasts Joe Riggs
- ‘Bigfoot’ Silva vs Soa Palelei Added To UFC 190 In August
- Three Reasons To Watch UFC 186
- UFC 186 Embedded Episode 3
UPDATED: Alexander Gustafsson’s April 6th bout with Gegard Mousasi apparently still on
With a pivotal light heavyweight bout against Gegard MoUSAsi on the horizon, Alexander Gustafsson has experienced some terrible news. After suffering what appears to be a deep cut over his eye and will not be medically cleared to fight next weekend.
The news comes as devastating to the UFC Sweden card, which is heavily reliant upon the Swedish star power that Gustafsson carries. The official word is yet to be announced by the UFC, but Joe Ferraro tweeted the bad news earlier today:
Looks like that cut suffered by Gustaffson will not be medically cleared by next Friday’s medicals. Awaiting official word from UFC.
— Joe Ferraro (@ShowdownJoe) March 31, 2013
Hopefully UFC officials can find a new opponent for MoUSAsi, who looks to make his UFC debut after coming over from Strikeforce, where he was one the 205 lb. champ. While injuries have not cancelled fights like last year’s devastating series, Gustafsson’s injury could essentially ruin an entire card. Stay tuned to Lowkick for more news on the subject as it develops.
*UPDATE* MMANytt has released the following on the development:
“MMANytt recently confirmed this with the Swedish MMA Association who explain that it will take a number of weeks before the injury heals up, and that Gustafsson with 99% certainty won’t be medically approved in the medical examination which is planned to go down on Friday”
SMMAF spokeperson Gorge Sallfeldt to MMANytt. “This SMMAF doctor has seen the injury in person, while another two doctors say the same thing after having examined pictures of the injury. Our doctors have looked at this injury, and it’s very hard to imagine it will be medically approved by Friday.”
Dana White has apparently texted MMA Fighting‘s Ariel Helwani, “The [Swedish Mixed Martial Arts Federation] has not said he can’t fight, and he wants to fight.” We will await any official statement on Saturday’s main event.