- Jacare: It’s My Time, I Can Finish Anybody In The Division
- UFC on FOX 15: Jacare Souza vs. Chris Camozzi Full Fight Video Highlights
- Max Holloway: I Want That Win Back Over Conor McGregor
- Luke Rockhold Promises To Choke Chris Weidman At Madison Square Garden
- UFC on FOX 15: Paige VanZant vs. Felice Herrig Full Fight Video Highlights
- UFC on FOX 15: Luke Rockhold vs. Lyoto Machida Full Fight Video Highlights
- Anderson Silva Looking To Represent Brazil In 2016 Summer Olympics
- After Machida, Luke Rockhold Wants Weidman In New York
- LowKick MMA Is Hiring Writers & Contributors!
Alexander Gustafsson: If Jon Jones Can’t Fight, I Want Lyoto Machida Next
Alexander Gustafsson has certainly made his mark on the UFC Light-Heavyweight division, the Sweidish Mauler is on a six fight win streak and eying up a potential title shot down the line. Although with Jon Jones sidelined for an undisclosed period, Gustafsson may be setting his targets elsewhere. Check out this interview via MMA Fighting
“I want to fight Jones. I want to fight for the title, that’s what I want to do,” Gustafsson said. He added. “If Jones will be out for a longer time, I’d fight Machida if that’s what the UFC wants. Of course, and if Machida wants it, no problem. I’ll fight him. I’m not going to wait for a long time. I fought ‘Shogun’ in December. I want to fight soon. I want to fight in a couple of months at least, I want to fight soon. If Jones can’t fight, which I would understand because [his injury] looked very nasty, I’d fight Machida, too. If Jones can fight in few months, I would love to fight him.”
Gustafsson is obviously keen to stay active, and is not falling in to the same trap that many fighters before him have. Waiting out for a couple of months for a title bout can be considered, but the way things are in MMA-nothing is guaranteed. In my opinion its better for a fighter to stay active rather than gather dust, and a fighter like Gus will have no problem hovering at the high end of the division should Jones be out for a while.
Apart from Lyoto Machida and Jon Jones, there aren’t really that many other fights for ‘The Mauler’ to consider. Glover Texeira? Antonio Nogueira? Or maybe a rematch with Phil Davis to avenge his solitary loss, after the two met at UFC 112 where Davis choked Gustafsson in to submission.
So if Jones is out for a long time-Who takes it between ‘The Mauler’ and ‘The Dragon’?