- Ronda Rousey Joins ‘The Rock’ At WrestleMania To Throw ‘Triple H,’ Dana White Approves
- Anthony Pettis Has No Timetable For Return, Wants To Fight Nate Diaz
- WSOF 19: Teddy Holder vs. Thiago Silva Video Highlights
- Drew Dober Returns To Face Efrain Escudero At UFC 188
- WSOF 19: Justin Gaethje vs. Luis Palomino Video Highlights
- WSOF 19 Results: Justin Gaethje Defeats Luis Palomino In All-Out War
- Bellator 135: L.C. Davis vs. Hideo Tokoro Full Fight Video
Alexander Gustafsson: Everybody has weaknesses
UFC Light Heavyweight title contender Alexander Gustafsson is campaigning to be champion Jon Jones’ toughest test in the Octagon to date. After all, when the two clash in the main event of UFC 165 on September 21st from Air Canada Centre in Toronto, Gustafsson will be the taller fighter. That’s a challenge that Jones hasn’t been presented with before.
But he’s also been one of the most dominant champions in UFC history, and his ability to take opponents head on in their strongest area is making him a scary proposition for any opponent. If he runs through Gustafsson, many will be calling for Jones’ long-rumored move up to Heavyweight.
Gustafsson is looking to stop that talk in its tracks, and even though most are giving him much of a chance to emerge from UFC 165 with the belt, he has a clear view of how he can upset the No.1-ranked P4P fighter in Jones:
“Everybody has weaknesses, we’re human beings. It’s up to me to find out in the fight what he’s weak at and what he’s strong at. To do this sport, you need to be a special individual. I feel confident, and I know it. My gameplan in this fight is to pick him apart. I know the belt is mine.” – via UFC.com
Indeed Gustafsson may be the only fighter at 205 to come close to negating Jones’ insane reach. But ‘Bones’ still maintains a reach advantage despite Gustafsson being the taller fighter. ‘The Mauler’ will have his hands full in Toronto, and Jones has guaranteed that if the fight goes to the ground, Gustafsson will experience the most brutal ground-and-pond he’s ever felt.
This battle could be another notch on the belt for Jones, or Gustafsson could surprise many by showing up and giving ‘Bones’ a run for his money. Will Gustafsson provide a challenge, or is he just another name on a long list of victims?