- Jon Jones Upgraded To Suspect In New Mexico Hit-And-Run Accident
- Poll: Is Demetrious Johnson The World’s No. 1 Pound-For-Pound Fighter?
- What’s Next For UFC 186’s Biggest Winners?
- Rashad Evans Would ‘Definitely Give Rampage A Rematch’
- UFC 186: Michael Bisping vs. C.B. Dollaway Video Highlights
- UFC 186: Rampage Jackson vs. Fabio Maldonado Video Highlights
- UFC 186: Demetrious Johnson vs. Kyoji Horiguchi Video Highlights
- Al Iaquinta Meets Bobby Green At UFC on FOX 16
- UFC 186 Bonuses: ‘Mighty Mouse’ Leads List Of Four $50,000 Winners
- UFC 186 Post-Fight Press Conference
WEC 53 Results: Anthony Pettis captures the WEC Lightweight gold from Ben Henderson in ‘Fight of the Year’ candidate
Ben Henderson and Anthony Pettis delivered one of the greatest performances ever seen in Mixed Martial Arts, with 5 rounds of technique, aggression and pure entertainment. This fight symbolized all 9 years of World Extreme Cagefighting, and was surely the best ending Reed Harris wanted for his promotion.
Henderson was the first man to find his range in the first part of the fight, punishing Anthony Pettis with hard leg kicks and good striking combinations. But it was just a beginning. Rejuvenated Pettis proved his worth in the second, answering Henderson with strikes of his own, rocking the Champion on several occasions. “Showtime” Pettis was at his prime during the fight, with submission attempts, sweeps and a second-to-none clinch game. Ben Henderson‘s chin worked extra hours, as Pettis came step after step closer to the WEC Lightweight belt.
The highlight of the fight was when Anthony Pettis performed a move taken straight from the Matrix (the ‘Reloaded’ one), gaining momentum by climbing on the cage and kicking Ben Henderson directly on the chin. Henderson was rocked, but still not done, as Anthony Pettis set a heavy exclamation mark on his victory.
In the end, the judges awarded Pettis a 48-47, 48-47, 49-46 victory, over someone who was widely considered as unbeatable in WEC. At the age of just 23, Anthony Pettis (13-1 in MMA) is the new WEC Lightweight title, facing the winner of UFC Lightweight title fight between Frankie Edgar and Gray Maynard, which will take place on January 1st at UFC 125.
For full WEC 53 Results and LowPick scores check out the Events page.