- UFC 183 Main Card Live Results: Thales Leites Comes Back To Submit Tim Boetsch
- UFC 183 Prelims Live Results: Gritty Tate Tops McMann
- UFC 183 Post-Fight Press Conference
- Dana White Says John Lineker & Kelvin Gastelum Will Move Up In Weight
- UFC 183 Embedded Episode 4
- Stephen ‘Wonderboy’ Thompson Out Of UFC Fight Night 60 Headliner Against Brandon Thatch
- Updated: Chris Weidman Injured, UFC 184 Bout With Vitor Belfort Cancelled
- Jose Aldo vs. Conor McGregor Official For UFC 189 Main Event In July
- UFC 183 Weigh-Ins Video & Results: Gastelum & Lineker Miss Badly
UFC CHAMP BROCK LESNAR WANTS ANOTHER CHANCE TO QUIET MIR
After Frank Mir stated earlier in the week that he wanted to make him “the first person that dies due to Octagon-related injuries”, UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar emerged to address the comments in a radio interview on Friday.
“The guy should probably just focus on the task in front of him, which is Shane Carwin, because if Shane Carwin beats his [expletive] he won’t be fighting me,” Lesnar told KFAN Sports Radio AM 1130.
Lesnar, who has been sidelined due to a digestive disease, is aiming for a July 3 return in Las Vegas and confirmed that he is expected to face the winner of the interim heavyweight title fight between Mir and Carwin.
“I feel really good. I’m back to training, I started mini camp last week and I feel great. Everything is on track. Starting to build the base up again and get ready to fight hopefully mid-summer. Hopefully [Mir] gets past Carwin so I can put another beat down on him.”
“I am truly hoping that Frank wins this fight so it sets us up for July and maybe the next beat down will… (laughs)… I don’t know what I have to do to shut him up.”
Lesnar was slated to fight Shane Carwin for the heavyweight belt at UFC 106 this past November, but Lesnar was forced to postpone the bout due to illness. The UFC was planning on staging the same fight at UFC 108 in January, but with Lesnar’s continuing health issues that fight was also cancelled.
Lesnar’s UFC career began with an unsuccessful debut against Mir at UFC 81 in February 2008. Mir was able to secure a leg lock on the dominating yet inexperienced Lesnar, forcing him to tap in the first round.
Following the defeat, the former NCAA Division-I National Wrestling Champion rebounded with a unanimous decision win over Heath Herring at UFC 87, pushing him up the heavyweight ranks. Lesnar then fought veteran Randy Couture for the UFC heavyweight championship at UFC 91, earning a technical knock out over the Hall of Famer in the second round.
In his first and only title defence, which came UFC 100, Lesnar avenged his loss to Mir with a dominant second-round technical knock out.
After the win, Lesnar exhibited questionable behaviour when he taunted his fallen opponent, along with the crowd, and even took a shot at one of the UFC’s sponsors Bud Light. The former WWE star apologized in the post-fight press conference for his wrestling-style heel display.
It was a much more subdued version of Lesnar speaking on the radio Friday.
“At this point I’m so glad to be healthy and to be able to be in the gym training,” admitted Lesnar. “After going through what I went through, laying on my death bed almost, I was really nervous, I didn’t think I was going to fight again. I’m just fortunate I can get in the octagon and fight.”
Lesnar also announced that his family is expecting another child in July, which is shaping up to be a busy month for the UFC heavyweight champ.