- Josh Burkman vs. Dong Hyun Kim Added To UFC 187
- Dana White: Georges St- Pierre Doesn’t Want To Fight
- UFC 184 Medical Suspensions: Raquel Pennington Among Six With 180-Day Sits
- Daniel Cormier Believes Anthony Johnson Shouldn’t Play Games With Jon Jones
- Gracie Breakdown – UFC 184 Submissions
- UFC 184: MMA Community Reacts On Twitter
UFC 128 CompuStrike Preview: Wrestling is the key for Jon Jones
UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Mauricio “Shogun” Rua will defend his title for the first time this weekend, facing the wunderkind in the Greg Jackson product Jon “Bones” Jones. According to the veteran statistics provider CompuStrike, Jon Jones‘ main weapon is his incredible wrestling skills, which translate into 91% successful takedown attempts. Rua is relatively easy to take down, with only 10% of defended attempts.
If Jones fails in his goal to take the action to the ground, he will have to deal with a ferocious striker in Shogun Rua. The Brazilian is better in virtually every aspect of striking, with twice as much power strikes than Jon Jones per fight.
Here’s some key facts:
Rua landed twice as many arm strikes as Jones, landing 45% to Jones’ 29%
Rua’s five UFC opponents were successful on 9 of 10 takedown attempts (90%)
Jones’ opponents were unsuccessful on all nine takedown attempts
Jones was on the feet for 70% of his seven UFC fights