- Lorenzo Fertitta On Reebok Criticism: ‘Vast Majority’ Of Athletes Are Excited
- Will The Reebok Deal Truly Benefit UFC Fighters?
- Claudia Gadelha ‘Guarantees’ Paige VanZant Would Lose To Anyone In Top 5
- UFC Reebok Sponsorship Payout Numbers Are Finally Here
- Poll: Should Jon Jones Go To Jail?
- Chris Weidman Earns BJJ Black Belt Heading Into Bout With Belfort
- JDS: Alistair Overeem Only Talks While I’m Injured
- Nick Diaz Wants To Rematch Anderson Silva Under Pride FC Rules
- LowKick MMA Is Hiring Writers & Contributors!
Frankie Edgar retains his title after a dominant Unanimous Decision victory over BJ Penn
UFC Lightweight Champion Frankie Edgar provided a crystal-clear “Answer” to all the UFC 112 doubters, with a dominant Unanimous Decision victory over BJ “The Prodigy” Penn. Edgar dominated Penn during all five rounds of the fight, by a punishing striking and perfectly-executed takedowns.
BJ Penn had no answer to the impressive relentlessness of Frankie Edgar, looking tired and probably lacking an inspiration to go toe-to-toe with the New Jersey native. Just like in the first fight between the two, Penn chased Frankie Edgar around the Octagon without any reasonable success. Edgar’s speed was a key factor in keeping BJ Penn at the distance and imposing his gameplan of quick jabs and kicks on “The Prodigy”.
Even at times when BJ Penn secured a takedown, Frankie Edgar was quick to prevent from his opponent to improve position. To the huge disappoint of BJ Penn’s fans, the former UFC Lightweight Champion had nothing to offer in this fight. He looked too big. So big that his size turned into a speed, maneuverability and stamina disadvantage throughout the fight.
Frankie Edgar will now square off against Gray Maynard, in a great match-up of styles. Gray Maynard is a big wrestler, and it will be very interesting to see if Frankie Edgar manages to defend his takedowns. This way or another, Frankie Edgar proved that he is one of the Top Pound for Pound fighters in the World, and a great Champion.
Photo: Tracy Lee for Yahoo!