- Poll: Has Robbie Lawler Improved Enough To Beat Johny Hendricks?
- Nick Diaz Says He Would Have Failed Drug Test After GSP Fight
- UFC Fight Night 57 Super Slo-Mo Highlights
- Matt Brown: What The F–k Has Conor Done Compared To Frankie?
- “Rumble” Thinks Alexander Gustafsson Is As Dangerous As Jon Jones
- Vitor Belfort Says He’s Actually Better Without TRT
- Poll: Who Deserves The Next UFC Featherweight Title Shot?
Cain Velasquez out for 6 to 8 months with a Shoulder Injury; Junior dos Santos doesn’t want to wait
According to reports on ESPN.com and MMAFighting.com, newly crowned UFC Heavyweight Champion Cain Velasquez is out for six to eight months after suffering from a torn rotator cuff in his shoulder. Fresh off an impressive victory over Brock Lesnar at UFC 121, Velasquez was expected to square off against the #1 contender Junior Dos Santos, possibly headlining UFC’s debut in Toronto next April.
Here’s what ESPN’s Josh Gross writes:
News of the injury to Velasquez surfaced Wednesday when MMAFighting.com reported the 28-year-old heavyweight would require surgery for an undisclosed shoulder ailment, causing him to miss six to eight months.
A recent MRI on his right shoulder revealed the injury was “a lot more severe” than previously thought and showed a 90 percent tear of the rotator cuff. The morning following his first-round win over Lesnar, Velasquez complained about pain in his shoulder.
Making a rough prediction, Cain Velasquez could fight Junior Dos Santos not before the third quarter of 2011. “Cigano” will be forced to for a year-long layoff since his Unanimous Decision victory over Roy Nelson at UFC 117. Ultimate Fighting Championship experienced the same situation with Shogun Rua’s bout against Rashad Evans, which was postponed for approximately a year due to Rua’s knee injury.
Stay tuned for more news on the issue.
MMA Weekly have the following reaction from Junior dos Santos’s manager, Ed Soares:
MMAWeekly.com was able to speak with Dos Santos’ manager, Ed Soares, on Wednesday as well. According to him, the top contender in the heavyweight division will not be waiting for Velasquez to return before fighting again.
“He is not going to wait six months,” Soares said in a text message to MMAWeekly.com.
Here’s even more heat from Junior dos Santos (via Fighters Only):
“I’m really outraged. How does a person leaves a fight versus Brock Lesnar in perfect physical condition and then get hurt without being in training? The last news I heard about Velasquez, he was riding in Mexico. How did he get injured? I’m in the best moment of my career, training heavily and working hard to put on the fight of my life, and all of a sudden, this is postponed for eight months. That’s unfair. I’m five months without fighting, fighting is my life, not just because I love doing it, but also because I need to fight for a living. I don’t make as much money as the top fighters, so I really need to work. Of course it would be fantastic to face Velasquez at ‘UFC Rio’ in August, but I can’t keep myself one year away from the Octagon only waiting for his recovering… so I do think what would be most fair, would be Dana gives me the opportunity to fight for an interim belt.”