- Lewis vs. Jordan, Jouban vs. Ebersole Scheduled For UFC Fight Night 68
- What’s The Point Of Debating Ronda Rousey’s Ability To Defeat Male Fighters?
- Photos: CM Punk’s First ‘MMA Fight Scrimmage’ At Roufusport
- Burt Watson Confirms Resignation From UFC After 14 Years
- UFC 185 Free Fight: Anthony Pettis vs. Joe Lauzon
- Dana White: Georges St- Pierre Doesn’t Want To Fight
Alistair Overeem reveals he turned down an Immediate Title Shot
News broke earlier today that Alistair Overeem had signed a contract with the UFC and that his first fight with the promotion would be against former UFC champion Brock Lesnar. The fight will take place on December 30 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, NV.
The winner of that bout will jump to the front of the UFC s heavyweight pack, putting themselves in line to face the winner of the Cain Velasquez versus Junior dos Santos Heavyweight title bout that is set for the first UFC on FOX card. Velasquez will defend the title he took from Lesnar on that card, which will take place on November 12 from the Honda Center in Anaheim.
During a recent interview Overeem revealed that he had been offered a shot at the winner of the Velasquez versus dos Santos bout, a fight that he did not want to wait for, “I was actually offered an immediate title shot but I would have had to wait first of all for the fight between Cain Velasquez and Junior Dos Santos and then the winner of that fight would have needed to rest, then they would have had to have a training camp to fight me… it would have been the middle of next year before I got to make my first fight in the UFC.” – To read the entire interview visit FightersOnly
Further Reading: Brock Lesnar vs. Alistair Overeem confirmed for December 30th