- Josh Thomson Squares Off Against Tony Ferguson On July 15
- Benson Henderson & Michael Johnson Verbally Agree To Fight
- UFC 185 Drug Tests Come Back Negative
- Alexander Gustafsson Faces Glover Teixeira At UFC Fight Night 69 In Berlin
- Jose Aldo Says There Was ‘No Slap,’ Find Out For Yourself
- Ronda Rousey Joins ‘The Rock’ At WrestleMania To Throw ‘Triple H,’ Dana White Approves
- Anthony Pettis Has No Timetable For Return, Wants To Fight Nate Diaz
- WSOF 19: Justin Gaethje vs. Luis Palomino Video Highlights
Alistair Overeem reveals he turned down an Immediate Title Shot
News broke earlier today that Alistair Overeem had signed a contract with the UFC and that his first fight with the promotion would be against former UFC champion Brock Lesnar. The fight will take place on December 30 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, NV.
The winner of that bout will jump to the front of the UFC s heavyweight pack, putting themselves in line to face the winner of the Cain Velasquez versus Junior dos Santos Heavyweight title bout that is set for the first UFC on FOX card. Velasquez will defend the title he took from Lesnar on that card, which will take place on November 12 from the Honda Center in Anaheim.
During a recent interview Overeem revealed that he had been offered a shot at the winner of the Velasquez versus dos Santos bout, a fight that he did not want to wait for, “I was actually offered an immediate title shot but I would have had to wait first of all for the fight between Cain Velasquez and Junior Dos Santos and then the winner of that fight would have needed to rest, then they would have had to have a training camp to fight me… it would have been the middle of next year before I got to make my first fight in the UFC.” – To read the entire interview visit FightersOnly
Further Reading: Brock Lesnar vs. Alistair Overeem confirmed for December 30th