Strikeforce: Diaz vs. Cyborg Media Conference Call Highlights
Welterweight Champion Nick Diaz and Evangelista Santos will headline the stacked Strikeforce: Diaz vs. Santos fight card, set to take place January 29th from the HP Pavilion in San Jose, California. A Middleweight collision between division champ Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza and the heavy-handed Robbie Lawler will serve as the co-main event, as NFL veteran Herschel Walker makes his return against Scott Carson and Trevor Prangley meets undefeated Roger Gracie in a Light Heavyweight showdown.
Below are highlights from Thursday’s Media Conference Call, which included both Nick Diaz and Ronaldo Souza. However, while both Champions were on the line to discuss their upcoming title fights, it was “The Stockton Bad Boy” who stole the show, ripping Jason Miller, Josh Koscheck, and Georges St. Pierre, as he fumed over everything from MMA rankings to his current pay rate.
Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza
• The plan is to bring the jiu-jitsu to the table at the right time.
• I’ve fought a lot of tough guys, and I’d put Robbie Lawler right there in the mix.
• My takedowns aren’t wrestling takedowns. I call them “Jacare takedowns.” I put my own twist on them.
• My fight with Lawler will look different than Lindland’s because both of them are left-handed.
• I haven’t thought too much about Paul Daley, to be honest.
• I don’t want to fight unless I’m going to get paid a lot of money.
• If someone halfway important is fighting, I’m watching it. I’m familiar with most guys, including Cyborg.
• I think Cyborg is the best opponent right now. I want to fight Georges St. Pierre. I think Shields is going to take him out though.
• I’d be happy to move up. I just want to get paid for it.
• I never said I wouldn’t fight Miller because of weight. If I’m going to throw my whole year off, I want to get paid in full.
• Tell Miller to get his ass in shape and make 170 or 175 pounds. Or someone can “pay me a couple f***ing million dollars” to move up.
• Josh Koscheck took an ass whooping in a fight I cornered. The UFC gave him easy fights. I didn’t get easy fights in the UFC.
• We got this guy who doesn’t even fight. He drinks in a bar. And we took him to fight Josh Koscheck.
• So when you tell me these guys are the best fighters in the world, it’s a f***ing joke.
• People think GSP is better than me, it’s bulls***. He just fought Josh Koscheck. I just told you about him.
• Right now, what do you want? You got them ranked above me.
Speaking about a potential grudge match with Mayhem, Diaz told press:
“I’d like to get paid something extra. Double, triple, something crazy for me to do something extra that would screw up my weight to fight at that weight. I’m not just doing it for free when I’d make the same money to fight at 170-pounds. It’s twice as much work. I never didn’t want to sign for that fight with Miller. They were talking about making me move weights. I said tell his ass to get in f*cking shape and make weight like I do. It’s f*cking hard enough for me to make 170-pounds. He acts like he wouldn’t be able to do it, he doesn’t want to work hard like me, that’s the problem. He can work his ass off and make 170-pounds or 175-pounds or somebody can pay me a f*cking couple million dollars and I’ll move up to 185-pounds and fight him. Or he can quit getting f*cking slapped in public, I know somebody’s got that sh*t on video tape. That motherf*cker doesn’t want to fight me.”
For complete audio, visit Sherdog.com