- Dustin Poirier Returning To Lightweight In 2015
- CM Punk Targeting Late 2015 UFC Debut
- Rashad Evans vs. Glover Teixeira Reportedly Agreed Upon For UFC Fight Night 60 In Brazil
- UFC Fight Night 58: Lyoto Machida vs CB Dollaway Breakdown
- Michael Bisping Disagrees With “Butthurt” Fighters Behind UFC Lawsuit
- Jon Jones ‘Offended’ The UFC Showed Death Threat Video
- Daniel Cormier: I’m Looking To Rid MMA Of Jon Jones
- Rory MacDonald Informed He Won’t Fight For Title, Will Just ‘Light Up’ Whoever’s Next
Ray Sefo announces upcoming kickboxing match against Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic
Following his UFC 137 technical knockout loss to Roy Nelson, Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic announced that he was retiring from the UFC. The loss marked the third consecutive time the former PRIDE legend had been stopped by KO/TKO. The previous two losses came at the hands of Frank Mir and Brendan Schaub.
However it appears that fans of combat sports will get one more opportunity to see Filipovic compete, as Ray Sefo took to his twitter account to announce, “Some news for you all my fight with Mirko Cro-Cop has been confirmed for March 10th!!!” Sefo then added, “The fight will be a K-1 rule fight, it’s held in Zagreb Croatia I’m told it’ll be in front of 25,000 people….”
Sefo then informed his twitter followers, “It’s a K-1 rule fight, the promoters are called Fight Channel Promotions. A TV network.”
The last time Filipovic competed in a kickboxing bout was April 30, 2003, knocking out Bob Sapp at the 1:26 mark of Round One. Sefo’s last fight was a unanimous decision loss to Tyrone Spong on October 2, 2010.
As of now, there has not been an official announcement of this fight.
Further Reading: Remembering Cro Cop: A look back at the career of Mirko Filipovic
Mirko Cro Cop before his fight with Eddie Sanchez at the Ultimate Fighting Champion Championship UFC 67 at the Mandalay Bay Hotel in Las Vegas on Feb. 3, 2007. Photo credit: Francis Specker