- Video: Watch Conor McGregor Steal Jose Aldo’s Belt In Dublin
- UFC 189 World Tour Press Conference Live From Dublin
- Ronda Rousey Hints She May Join ‘The Rock’ At Next Year’s Wrestlemania
- Dennis Bermudez Battles Jeremy Stephens At UFC 189
- Josh Thomson Squares Off Against Tony Ferguson On July 15
- WSOF 19: Justin Gaethje vs. Luis Palomino Video Highlights
Shinya Aoki considers retirement?
According to MMA Fighting, Top-ranked Lightweight and the current DREAM 155-pound Champion Shinya Aoki currently considers retirement from the sport. Aoki was viciously knocked out by Yuichiro “Jienotsu” Nagashima at Dynamite!! 2010 event on December 31st, which led him into a depression. Here’s the report:
Sources close to have indicated that the lightweight champion was contemplating retirement following his humiliating knockout loss to Yuichiro “Jienotsu” Nagashima at Dynamite!!
Aoki has clearly been troubled following the loss, going so far as to delete his @waoki Twitter account (although it appears that Aoki has started a new private account under the alias @jyotaronawo) after being harassed by Nagashima fans and has privately expressed an interest in quitting MMA to focus on his teaching duties at the Deep official gym.
The fight against Jienotsu wento to the record as “Exhibition Match”, and did not blemish Aoki’s 26-5 MMA record. The last man to knock out Aoki was Hayato Sakurai, who finished the “Baka Survivor” after just 30 seconds in the first round of DREAM Welterweight Grand Prix, which took place at Dream.8 event two years ago. Despite the reports, Aoki is still rumored to square off in a rematch against Strikeforce Lightweight Champion Gilbert Melendez sometime in 2011, this time in Japan under the DREAM banner.