- UFC 178: Conor McGregor vs Dustin Poirier Highlights
- UFC 178: Demetrious Johnson vs Chris Cariaso Highlights
- UFC 178 Post-Fight Bonuses: Cruz, McGregor Bank $50,000
- Tim Kennedy Will Appeal UFC 178 Loss To Yoel Romero
- UFC 178: Watch Dominick Cruz Destroy Takeya Mizugaki To Earn Next Title Shot
- UFC 178 Prelims Results: Dominick Cruz Dominates Takeya Mizugaki
- UFC 178 Main Card Results: McGregor Scores First Round Finish
Shinya Aoki considers retirement?
According to MMA Fighting, Top-ranked Lightweight and the current DREAM 155-pound Champion Shinya Aoki currently considers retirement from the sport. Aoki was viciously knocked out by Yuichiro “Jienotsu” Nagashima at Dynamite!! 2010 event on December 31st, which led him into a depression. Here’s the report:
Sources close to have indicated that the lightweight champion was contemplating retirement following his humiliating knockout loss to Yuichiro “Jienotsu” Nagashima at Dynamite!!
Aoki has clearly been troubled following the loss, going so far as to delete his @waoki Twitter account (although it appears that Aoki has started a new private account under the alias @jyotaronawo) after being harassed by Nagashima fans and has privately expressed an interest in quitting MMA to focus on his teaching duties at the Deep official gym.
The fight against Jienotsu wento to the record as “Exhibition Match”, and did not blemish Aoki’s 26-5 MMA record. The last man to knock out Aoki was Hayato Sakurai, who finished the “Baka Survivor” after just 30 seconds in the first round of DREAM Welterweight Grand Prix, which took place at Dream.8 event two years ago. Despite the reports, Aoki is still rumored to square off in a rematch against Strikeforce Lightweight Champion Gilbert Melendez sometime in 2011, this time in Japan under the DREAM banner.