- Bellator 135 Results: Marcos Galvao Crowned New Bantamweight Champ
- Conor McGregor: Everything I Touch Turns To Gold
- Anderson Silva Says Another Title Run Possible If He Has The Opportunity
- Claudia Gadelha Injured, Out Of UFC Fight Night 64
- Ricardo Lamas: Conor McGregor Doesn’t Like It When The Tables Are Turned
- Cyborg’s Attempt To Make Bantamweight Back On For Next Fight
- Dana White Not Optimistic About GSP Return: He Hasn’t Been Hungry For A Long Time
- CABMMA Changes Drew Dober Loss To No Contest
Former Bellator bantamweight champion Zach Makovsky cut by company
In a somewhat surprising move, Bellator has severed ties with it’s first bantamweight champion.
Zach Makovsky, who became the organizations first 135 lbs champ after winning the season 3 tournament, announced via his Twitter account that he has been cut.
“Honestly shocked but thank you for the opportunity @BellatorMMA @BjornRebney” Makovsky said.
He may not be the only one shocked as the move comes only weeks before Bellator moves from MTV2 to its new home at Spike TV. But apparently the organization felt the need to let “Fun Size” go after suffering back to back losses. He dropped the title to Eduardo Dantas via second round arm triangle choke back in April and recently dropped a close split decision to Anthony Leone on December 7. Prior to that, Makovsky rode an eight fight winning streak which included victories over Nick Mamalis, Bryan Goldsby and Ed West that earned him the title. He won two non-title bouts against Chad Robichaux and Ryan Roberts before losing his first title defense to Dantas.
The 29-year-old will try his luck on the free agency market where organizations such as Taichi Palace and perhaps the UFC could show some interest.